Winter Grille Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1996 K1500 5.7- This past summer I added new duel core radiator, new OEM transmission cooler and new slightly deeper aluminum pan. Also, I installed a transmission temperature gauge with sensor installed in test port and all new fluid for original 4l60e with original 50K on truck. All is good, at least until the other day heading north for a 2 1/2 hour ride in 30 degree weather on highway. Transmission temp. gauge never really got above 105 on highway, I think on backroads it hit 122. So with sensor in test port, any guess what actual temp. might have been?
Also, aside from doing a cooler diverter anyone ever use a Winter Grille Cover, not sure how much that might lower transmission fluid temperature.

Attachments

• 224D87D1-E4DB-4ACA-8CE1-5592D1C0B216.jpeg
    224D87D1-E4DB-4ACA-8CE1-5592D1C0B216.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean to restrict airflow and raise the operating temp. You still have the radiator trans cooler functional. It will be close to what is regulated by radiator on return to trans. What is the purpose of the test port? Pressures, temperatures? What or who was your source or information that this was something you needed? Had 2 row core originally? What was your water temp on that trip? Unless your in the Yukon or Artic circle restricing airflow through grill/ radiator would be very bad idea.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean to restrict airflow and raise the operating temp. You still have the radiator trans cooler functional. It will be close to what is regulated by radiator on return to trans. What is the purpose of the test port? Pressures, temperatures? What or who was your source or information that this was something you needed? Had 2 row core originally? What was your water temp on that trip? Unless your in the Yukon or Artic circle restricing airflow through grill/ radiator would be very bad idea.
I’m certainly not the first, nor likely the last to use the test port for installing a temperature sensor! Actually forum member Schurkey mentioned the grille cover for that purpose, I’d already considered it as well. I also doubt I’d be the first to use one those either. Water temperature is exactly what it was before installing duel core. FYI, a duel core radiator is not going to lower the operating cooling temperature. Many(KNP)obviously came with transmission coolers and duel core radiators.

Edit: Here’s a source of information for you. This Transmission Temperature Sensor is specifically made for the transmission “test port”. https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/stubby-transmission-temperature-gauge-sensor-for-gm-4l60-e/

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI, as i stated the trans fluid returned from the cooler in the radiator will be close or that temp. You do know the fluid route? I made no consideration on your radiator capacity other than stock or an upgrade. Okay, no problem. Good luck.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know my transmission fluid route!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google Winter Grille covers. Do you have any idea of how many use them and don’t live in the Yukon or Artic? They have access doors to control airflow. Now, like I said, it was mentioned by another member and it was something I considered. Just wondering if anyone on site had any experience with them. You obviously don’t! Pretty obvious you didn’t understand the temp. sensor in the test port concept either. :cheers:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Google Winter Grille covers. Do you have any idea of how many use them and don’t live in the Yukon or Artic? They have access doors to control airflow. Now, like I said, it was mentioned by another member and it was something I considered. Just wondering if anyone on site had any experience with them. You obviously don’t! Pretty obvious you didn’t understand the temp. sensor in the test port concept either. :cheers:
I don't use one of the fancy covers I just use a piece of cardboard to cover mine. I have a hole cut in the center so that the fan clutch will operate properly and get some air flow through the radiator. I don't live in the Yukon or Artic and I notice a lot of difference in coolant temps while using it. When the temps outside drop below 20ish degrees my truck struggles to make temp and hold it. This is mostly at idle but have seen it driving down the road on 10 degree or lower days. It sucks when its -5 with wind chills of -30 and you don't have heat. As to your trans temp and fluid flow question I cannot help you with that.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use one of the fancy covers I just use a piece of cardboard to cover mine. I have a hole cut in the center so that the fan clutch will operate properly and get some air flow through the radiator. I don't live in the Yukon or Artic and I notice a lot of difference in coolant temps while using it. When the temps outside drop below 20ish degrees my truck struggles to make temp and hold it. This is mostly at idle but have seen it driving down the road on 10 degree or lower days. It sucks when its -5 with wind chills of -30 and you don't have heat. As to your trans temp and fluid flow question I cannot help you with that.
For the record there is no fluid “flow” question. Just wondering if any did any grille block-offs to cover transmission cooler from cold air(as in wind chill on highway). That absolutely happens as while on highway w/ambient temperature even at 30 degrees my transmission temperature not rising above 109. When I’m on backroads it instantly starts rising. I would say that proves cold wind driven air is affecting your the transmission cooler. I’m making a cardboard cover, wrapped entirely in aluminum tape and sprayed with rubberized undercoat to prevent the cardboard from deteriorating in wet conditions. We’ll see how it works, certainly not the first adding a cover.
BTW- Numbers in picture below show gauges on highway. These numbers never changed by adding a duel core radiator!

Attachments

• 876E028E-5F34-46DA-919D-6C21039E4EE0.jpeg
    876E028E-5F34-46DA-919D-6C21039E4EE0.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 24
  • BC6F9F41-9589-4FC7-8571-093877B6A265.jpeg
    BC6F9F41-9589-4FC7-8571-093877B6A265.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 23
  • FF163EAC-0FFA-40EC-B20E-7EA1859B671B.jpeg
    FF163EAC-0FFA-40EC-B20E-7EA1859B671B.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 24
  • EC308831-059A-40B1-A0BC-9AC3310BBD95.jpeg
    EC308831-059A-40B1-A0BC-9AC3310BBD95.jpeg