Winter Grille Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I got confused with all the talk going on about flow. Sorry for that. Also temp wise I have read that the test port gives lower readings then it actually is. I don't know how much lower. I wish there was a way to tap into the sensor that is internal to the trans and hook up a aftermarket gauge.

Your temp gauge is where mine runs when it's 100 degrees out going down the highway lol. Only time i see it climb is stopped with the ac on and then it only climbs 1 line. But according to my scanner that temp is 185-190 degrees. When I have it covered it will run about the same temps. I will add mine has the 6.5 so that can skew things a little. Every diesel Ive had temps have dropped like a rock in the winter time.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I got confused with all the talk going on about flow. Sorry for that. Also temp wise I have read that the test port gives lower readings then it actually is. I don't know how much lower. I wish there was a way to tap into the sensor that is internal to the trans and hook up a aftermarket gauge.

Your temp gauge is where mine runs when it's 100 degrees out going down the highway lol. Only time i see it climb is stopped with the ac on and then it only climbs 1 line. But according to my scanner that temp is 185-190 degrees. When I have it covered it will run about the same temps. I will add mine has the 6.5 so that can skew things a little. Every diesel Ive had temps have dropped like a rock in the winter time.
Yeah I’m aware of using test port and it not being the most accurate location.
Mid summer I’d say average reading on the gauge is 155-165 around town and maybe 145ish highway on hot days. In this cold weather it’s definitely showing much cooler numbers. Too cool, but like you say are not accurate. You’d think GloShift would have a % lost using test port.
Are you using the GloShift Stubby?

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't use one of the fancy covers I just use a piece of cardboard to cover mine. I have a hole cut in the center so that the fan clutch will operate properly and get some air flow through the radiator. I don't live in the Yukon or Artic and I notice a lot of difference in coolant temps while using it. When the temps outside drop below 20ish degrees my truck struggles to make temp and hold it. This is mostly at idle but have seen it driving down the road on 10 degree or lower days. It sucks when its -5 with wind chills of -30 and you don't have heat. As to your trans temp and fluid flow question I cannot help you with that.
pretty common here to add a little cardboard, not covering all the radiator, only part.
I paint mine black so it doesn't show thru the grille

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty common here to add a little cardboard, not covering all the radiator, only part.
Exactly my plan. On a side note, just digging around online and found a few saying test port installed sensors usually are around 15 degrees cooler than fluid coming out of transmission, which is fluid temperature reading you want.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I’m aware of using test port and it not being the most accurate location.
Mid summer I’d say average reading on the gauge is 155-165 around town and maybe 145ish highway on hot days. In this cold weather it’s definitely showing much cooler numbers. Too cool, but like you say are not accurate. You’d think GloShift would have a % lost using test port.
Are you using the GloShift Stubby?
I do not have a trans temp gauge right now. The only one i can use is the one in the trans pan and access the reading with my scanner. Some day I might install one The only add on gauges I currently have are a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. I wish some one would make a 4 pod setup for our trucks. I would like to added a EGT gauge as well. But I don't tow much and don't even really need a 3/4 ton let alone a diesel truck. The price was right and hasn't given me to many issues.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I don't really care if you can see it or not lol. Its behind the grill and thats all that matters to me. Better then some of the farmer/ranchers around here that bungee cord one to the front of the grill and call it good.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I always recommend the temp sensor be in a T fitting inline from the trans to the cooler. this will show the highest temp of any location.
Follows is an absurd example to illustrate;

Fluid comes out of the trans @ 400F.
Then goes through a trans cooler the size of Nebraska and returns to the trans @-40F.
Temp sensor in the pan shows 180.
You never knew the fluid got hot.:Big Laugh:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always recommend the temp sensor be in a T fitting inline from the trans to the cooler. this will show the highest temp of any location.
Follows is an absurd example to illustrate;

Fluid comes out of the trans @ 400F.
Then goes through a trans cooler the size of Nebraska and returns to the trans @-40F.
Temp sensor in the pan shows 180.
You never knew the fluid got hot.:Big Laugh:
I hope my fluid never reaches 400F! Lol:flamingdevil: