Windshield replacement woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fly Ty

Reaction score
I know 2 different windshields are available lmc stocks them both ,The factory windshield style has the molded sides and the one you got is what most places install and it has like pieces of foam tube on the side that is cheap junk. I would look into where Lmc gets there molded side windshields and try and get one of them. Looks to me that they didn't set your windshield in on the lower stops at the bottom of the windshield ,its suppose to rest on the lower stops to help position it and let the urethane dry, they may have broke broke them or they are missing they are just plastic. I am pretty sure your windshield did slide down and is the right size just installed wrong but i am also pretty sure that it is thinner than factory glass. Try to get a windshield with molded sides next time.
I did contact LMC first about a windshield. I thought the windshield with the molded sides is the one too, but they replied that particular windshield is for a 93-98 only. I'm wondering what the difference in a 91 would make?

Fly Ty

Reaction score
A buddy of mine runs a glass company and replaced my 98's windshield. Showed him the photo OP posted, his reaction was "WTH!??". Talk to you insurance, get it redone. preferably somewhere else.
They are working with me. I'm just trying to find the right windshield now. More headache than expected. SMH

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always worried about having to replace the glass in these older trucks. I had considered changing to the fixed rear glass instead of the slider, but forget about that now.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no need to even consider LMC, a quality local glass company can get the proper glass and install it properly. I have done a few hundred windshields and maybe a dozen 400's, the glass in the original post is not installed properly. Adding a bead later is never required.
There is no worry about replacing or adding a slider, the basic design has been the same for many years, not hard to swap if you hire a good company

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
One thing I hate about my slider in my 98 is the thing leaks whenever it rains. Had it installed a couple years ago, and it was starting to leak where it mates with the cab last year. So I don't know if it was improper installation or the adhesive is already disintegrating?

FLJoe

Reaction score
Those low-grade aftermarket windshields have been around for a long time. I had the windshield on my Tahoe replaced about 12 or 15 years ago, and ended up with exactly the same thing (big gap at the top and flimsy tube weather strip on the sides).

At the time I was hardly using the truck, and I had not paid much attention to the windshield job so it went un-noticed for a while. I did notice that the Tahoe seemed to have more wind noise than I remembered on the occasions I drove it, but I didn't pay much attention.

When I started driving it again full time I realized how loud it was. I ended up filling that gap with black sealant, and putting an extra self-adhesive strip of weatherstripping along the sides to seal it against the door frames. That quieted it down, but I've always hated that windshield since. It's got some chips now, and I'm going to go get it replaced soon and will be sure to find a place that has correct fit, OEM glass.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Speaking of wind noise, is it just me that has driver's side wind noise constantly? My 97 had it and now my 96 has this annoying issue. I've tried putting thick weather stripping on the top of the driver's door to help it seal better where the noise is coming from, but has not improved like I thought it would.

FLJoe

Reaction score
For me the wind noise was worse on the driver than passenger side, but that was only because the idiot that put that crap windshield in my truck also put it a little off center, and the driver side weather strip doesn't hit the door as tight as the passenger side.

I used a strip of closed cell, self adhesive weather strip about 3/16" deep and 1/2" wide and stuck it right down the rubber tube running down the side of the windshield. I had to align it carefully to keep it from squeezing up above the door frame when I closed the door, but high enough to actually seal against the door frame. It worked really well, and totally killed "extra" wind noise. It got the truck back to what I remember it sounded like when it was new 25 years ago (it never struck me as a loud truck).