Windshield replacement questions? Brand,How To?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 1994 k1500 that needs a windshield.Has anyone replaced the windshield themselves and if so what is required? If i were to have it done what is the going rate and what brand of glass is the best quality for the money?Also there are plenty to be had at the local pick your part but don't know how to remove.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I checked prices about 5 years ago, and it was not expensive. Less than $200 installed.... quite a bit less, I think. An advantage of getting glass from a yard is that it could be OEM. The downside would be that it could also be pitted 20+ year old glass. I don't know what's available new, now.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's glued in with black sticky urethane adhesive meant for windshields, you cut the old one out with a power saw, and it's best if you leave it to the pros. Vehicle bodies that utilize glued-in glass like most modern ones rely on this design as part of the structural rigidity of the body. The glass is meant to stay attached (mostly) in a roll-over and help prevent crushing of the passenger compartment. If you do a poor job of replacement - example, wrong adhesive, poor prep, repaints where the glue area gets a layer of new paint that can pop loose, etc. then you've reduced the strength significantly.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said, one of those things best left to the pro's. Working in bodyshops I've done glass, but I also had access to the tools but even still 90% of bodyshops sublet the glasswork to the pro's. For $2-250 a glass co. comes to the house or your work with new glass and are done in 1.5hrs give or take. Most glass suppliers like PPG or LOF will only sell to installers wholesale so most times you can't even buy the glass for what you can have someone install it for. Then there's the $30 worth of urethane you need. A 20y/o road blasted glass is not worth installing imho and you'll be there all day trying to get one out unbroken unless you have an Equalizer or similar tool.

Also like said, urethane set glass is considered structural and it needs to be installed properly.

Last edited:

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, i live in the rust belt and am worried about them not primering the area or doing an inferior job that i will never know untill the next windshield replacement, and at that time i could be greeted with a suprise rusted windshield frame.That's kind of why i was asking to see if it could be done at home.Thanks for all the replies.I will take it somewhere to get done .

aaron33

Reaction score
I just had mine replaced this summer at Safelite for $279. It took him 45 minutes and they even had snacks in the waiting room. It's easiest to make the appointment online. They can even drive to your home/work for an additional $30. This is the 2nd windshield I've had them replace (in my '98 Camaro). To me there is too great of a risk of breaking the glass for the little bit of money you "save".

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Another option is to cut it out yourself and repair the pinchweld area to your liking. I have seen some people weld in metal (need headliner removed to paint welded area from inside to make permanent), use por15, and a few other methods and then have it in primer. Then call the windshield shop to put a new glass in. Like others have said, the urethane is high, there is a pinchweld primer that is high, there is a primer that goes on the glass that is high, and most installer will provide a warranty against leaks. This is the route I did on mine since it did have rust behind it. You may even talk a repair man into cutting it out and then returning at a later time to install the new one if you are not comfortable cutting it out yourself. I used the tried and true windshield wire on mine, but I had the headliner out and everything out of the way, even tilted the dash down some.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had mine done in modesto . It was 135. and now my truck no longer leaks .

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had mine done in modesto
What part of Modesto, I used to work in Modesto and lived in Merced before we moved to AZ?

As far as the windshield, I have zero deductible replacement in my insurance since we get rock chips constantly around here. It works out to a break even point if we replace a windshield on one of our 4 vehicles each year. The last one we did the glass place gave me $100 bill and a discount certificate for tinted windows, what a racket!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Short time I lived in FL you get free windshield replacement on your insurance policy, some FL state law. Had the glass done in my '94 shortly before I came back to TX. :) Wish I'd had the 3500HD done at the same time but can't remember why I slipped up on that...

Richard