Window Tint Laws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For West Virginia, there isn't a sticker to verify its of legal tint on each window. And my understanding is anything from the front doors and foward have to be 35% tint or lighter. Everything behind the front doors can be as dark as you want.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Texas

Tint Darkness
Windshield
Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.​

Windshield is actually 5" from the top or to the AS-1 mark, whichever is closer to the top.

Front Side Windows
Must allow more than 25% of light in.​
Back Side Windows
Must allow more than 25% of light in.​
Rear Window
Any darkness can be used.​

Laws have been updated. Rear side windows are unlimited as long as there are 2 outside rearview mirrors.

Tint Reflectiveness
Front Side Windows
Must not be more than 25% reflective.​
Back Side Windows
Must not be more than 25% reflective.​

Other Rules and Regulations
Restricted Colors
The tint color(s) of RED BLUE AMBER are not legal by state law.​
Side Mirrors
Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.​
Certificate Requirements
Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.​
Sticker Requirements
The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.​
Medical Exemption
State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.​

It's also written in the Texas code that Texas laws cannot be enforced on out-of-state vehicles. So, if you're from a state with more lenient enforcement than Texas and get a ticket here, you can fight it.

btimbit

Reaction score
For the Canadians

British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island -
No film is permitted on the driver’s compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.

(From the Alberta Traffic Safety Act)
69(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent, translucent or opaque material.

(2) A person shall not install, replace or cover the rear window glazing in a motor vehicle with a transparent, translucent or opaque material unless the motor vehicle has outside rear view mirrors on both the left and right that comply with section 72(2).

Manitoba - For driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum visible light transmittance, net, is 50%. The maximum visible light transmittance, net, is 35%. For windows behind the driver’s compartment, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance, net, is 35%. Where film is installed behind the driver’s compartment, 2 external rear view mirrors are required. The net figures that are allowed are enforced at plus or minus 5%.

Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

Quebec - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance is 70% on automotive net basis. Any film may be installed behind the driver’s compartment, provided the vehicle is outfitted with 2 exterior rear view mirrors.

Nova Scotia - No film is permitted on any glazing surface.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iowa just recently dropped the medical exeption, if you had it before you are grandfathered in but no new exeptions are being given

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And yet, every other car in Tennessee has illegal window tint.
I guess that way they can still hold there cell phones after July first!
Then, you have the idiots that have blacked out tail lights ( also illegal and very hard to see in the bright sunlight )

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZ is now 20% front windows and anything in the back. I put 5% ( AKA limo tint) all around, except windshield of course, on my wife's Infinity, we love it. Hell, even the cop car windows are darker than 20% around here, lol.

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one makes the most sense.

Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland
- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one makes the most sense.

Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland
- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

you don't live where the sun is as bright. I'll got outside, in the summer, for a while with transition prescription glasses and when I come back in I'm "snow blind" for about 5 minutes. Transition glasses don't work inside a car so, I still need sunglasses even in the Infinity.