wilwood d52 calipers on wilwood spindles anyone tried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Brooks

Reaction score
anyone tried the d52 2" dual-piston calipers with the Wilwood lowering spindles. I saw someplace that it would work but then I've seen others that say it won't. I've gone ahead and ordered 4 link rear with dual adjustable and dual caliper brackets, ill be using the d52 outback for my brakes. then I went to the stage 3 qa1 Coilover system out front. I hate to put crappy old brakes with all the shiny new bits. Planning to change over to hydro-boost when I'm doing the new brakes as well.

Building kinda a pro-touring truck, 1989 c1500, rcsb have a built 5.3 with procharger and all the bolt-ons, heads and big cam, etc. just bought a t56 magnum for it too so the trucks getting faster and better handling. I like the brakes to match without spending insane money for a big brake.

Yes, I've looked at the revelation 14" kits. and the Wilwood kits, and the baer kits, but if I can put on the Wilwood spindles for 380 bucks, 6 of the d52 Wilwood calipers for 1200 bucks, some nice rotors and pads for 300, and the hydro-boost for another 350 ill have a very very stout braking system with the handbrake out back to boot. Then I'm a full kit which I think will be better than the other brake kits at half the price with hydro-boost included. Canadian prices from Summit racing.

I'd just like to hear that someone has mounted up the d52 calipers with the Wilwood spindles and stock-sized HD brakes. And any other input you guys have for me.

Also looking for a main hoop and harness bar kit for my truck too, currently running Bride Lowmax seats. And I love them!!

Nick Brooks

Reaction score
140-11290-BK
And the 6 of them is two up front and dual calipers in the back. One for normal brakes and one for hand brake. It’s a fun haven truck. I like to slide it around and with all the suspension upgrades and the power I’m pushing it’s handy to have lol. I got the dual caliper brackets from Cunningham machine so I’m hoping they will work. I’m fairly sure they will but we’ll see. From what I understand the bolts are all in the same position it’s the ears that prevent the d52 wilwood calipers from working. And the dual caliper brackets don’t have ears. I ordered the 2 front calipers today and the wilwood drop spindles part number WIL-831-15933 so we will see if it works out like I hope it does. Combine all that with the hydro boost and the upgraded master and we should be able to brake with the best of em. My goal it to have the ultimate handling truck. I’d like to be able to put run mustangs, vettes, And camaros on the road racing. I’ve got the suspension coming and gathering karts for a 408 stroker build. I think I’m be able to get a really wife tire out back when the 4 link is done so might need the extra 200+ hp. Cause who doesn’t need 800+ on your daily right??

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going for ultimate performance, stick with the drum brakes. The only major advantage to disc brakes is they don't need regular maintenance.

Properly adjusted, your drums will perform just as well as the disc brakes. Your front brakes are the best target for upgrading. Personally, I'd look to see if the two-piston GMT800 front calipers bolt on. If you're dead set of lighting your wallet on fire for rear discs, remember that the fronts need to apply more of the stopping force or you'll spin.

Putting two sets of brakes on the rear axle? Holy unsprung weight, Batman! That's a bad solution for an imaginary problem.

Finally, no matter what brakes you switch to, do the math and make sure your master cylinder has the correct piston ratio to how many ever calipers and wheel cylinders you end up with. https://www.joesracing.com/master-cylinder-math/

Nick Brooks

Reaction score
The rear sets will not be operating at the same time. One works like normal with the pedal and proportion valve and the other is only applied when I pull the hand brake and is on its own separate system. From what I’ve seen the gmt800 won’t work with the stock style rotors or these spindles. I’m fairly sure that with a hydro boost, 2 piston 2” calipers in all 4 corners it’ll stop on a dime. And really it’s not that expensive compared to a brake kit for it. Or even the swap to c3500 single piston calipers (which are ugly as hell and a lot heavier) if it works lol

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
140-11290-BK
And the 6 of them is two up front and dual calipers in the back. One for normal brakes and one for hand brake. It’s a fun haven truck. I like to slide it around and with all the suspension upgrades and the power I’m pushing it’s handy to have lol. I got the dual caliper brackets from Cunningham machine so I’m hoping they will work. I’m fairly sure they will but we’ll see. From what I understand the bolts are all in the same position it’s the ears that prevent the d52 wilwood calipers from working. And the dual caliper brackets don’t have ears. I ordered the 2 front calipers today and the wilwood drop spindles part number WIL-831-15933 so we will see if it works out like I hope it does. Combine all that with the hydro boost and the upgraded master and we should be able to brake with the best of em. My goal it to have the ultimate handling truck. I’d like to be able to put run mustangs, vettes, And camaros on the road racing. I’ve got the suspension coming and gathering karts for a 408 stroker build. I think I’m be able to get a really wife tire out back when the 4 link is done so might need the extra 200+ hp. Cause who doesn’t need 800+ on your daily right??
I recommend you contact Wilwood @ 805-388-1188. The spindles won't accept a d52 caliper without an adapter. Also talk to them about the brake bias. if you run the same caliper in all positions you will have too much rear brake unless you run twin master cylinders with differential bores. A proportioning valve will not fix this issue.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly sure that with a hydro boost, 2 piston 2” calipers in all 4 corners it’ll stop on a dime.
I posted a link to the math above. You absolutely need to do the math before you commit.

D52s have 6.28 sq in of piston area

What master cylinder are you using?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A side issue is that a BB setup on street tires is not necessarily an improvement, but I want to add that I haven't ever tried to panic stop in one of these trucks so I'm making assumptions.

If the front tires will already lock in a hard stop, you won't shorten your distance and may actually lengthen it because BB will lock sooner. (This is where I'm assuming you can actually lock them.)

They do have the advantage of not fading as quickly, and if you are running track tires you can also take advantage of that extra friction.