Will these headers work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtgregory4242

Reaction score
So my dad just gave me a set of
SUM-G9006 headers that he had bought for his 72 C-10. Summit says they are not compatible but some of the reviews/questions on the website says that they will. Does anybody know if they will work with or without modification? I am planning to redo the entire exhaust at the same time. I’ve read a few things about possibly changing my O2 sensor to a heated one depending on where I place it in the system. Where would be ideal? Lastly these are the unpainted long tubes and I was wondering the best option for coating or wrapping them? I was planning to run them to cook off the shipping paint and then wrap them afterwards unless wrapping them is a bad idea for some reason? Would I need to paint them first?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year truck? If it's a TBI then yes, you'll need only 1 O2 sensor and it should be heated, or it'll get too cold for closed loop at idle. Place it in the collector on the driver's side so you're getting feedback from the entire bank instead of only 1 cylinder. You may experience some stumbling at idle because it's further downstream than the OE. There is a table (INT-Delay vs Air Flow) in the .bin that delays the reaction time in regards to adjusting fuel trims based on O2 sensor input.

Jtgregory4242

Reaction score
It’s a 94 tbi. Previous owner claims he put in in a jet stage 2 chip as well as an edelbrock 3702 cam. I’m hoping these headers will help it out a little. He gave me an extra throttle body as well so I’m planning to modify that one, get an AFPR, and install it with a spacer. I’ve still got more research to do in order to start messing with my own tunes but I’d like to do that as well