Will my truck tow car? Towing tips anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andfern97

Reaction score
Hi all, this may be a stupid question but I'm a towing newb (never towed anything bigger than a jon boat). I'm wondering if my '98 k1500 will tow my project car (~3500 lbs) on top of a U-Haul car hauler with hydraulic brakes (~2500 lbs) so around 6k lbs total. My truck has the 350, 3.73 gearing, and POSI rear end if that matters. Trip should be around 300 miles, so I'm trying to avoid renting a U-Haul truck to pull the trailer, but I'm also kinda nervous since I've never towed anything this heavy and the truck's old as well as the hitch being pretty rusty from 20 years in MN salt. Is this feasible or should I rent a U-Haul truck to be safe? Any tips on towing this kind of trailer much appreciated!

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from the rusty questionable hitch you can do it with trailer brakes and common sense. Believe you are still legal at 6k too. Don't use od. Uhaul would be safer but not necessary. If doing it worries you maybe you shouldn't do it. Find a buddy that wants to make a road trip.

andfern97

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm having the truck in at a shop for some maintenance later this week I'll have them check out the receiver. So keep the tranny in 3rd? I'll probably be spinning around 2800-3000rpms or so is that not a big deal for longer trips? I don't have a brake controller but the trailer has a surge brake, which to my understanding I don't need a controller for

andfern97

Reaction score
I'm sure the transmission is probably the weak link in this scenario if the hitch is good to go

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, thats why you want to keep it in 3rd, spinning faster rpms on the highway just means less MPG and you wont burn out OD going up a small hill.

Dylans95Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled a uhaul car trailer with a 91 skyline from seattle to great falls, little over 700 miles, with my 95 k1500. 3rd gear, 70 mph, 8-9 mpg. Truck did great with 4l60e and 3.73s. Stock size 265/75 16 tires. Going up the passes I had to drop to 2nd and hold it to the floor to keep it at 30-40 at a little over 4500 rpms for a few miles. Total weight was around 5500 pounds.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled a uhaul car trailer with a 91 skyline from seattle to great falls, little over 700 miles, with my 95 k1500. 3rd gear, 70 mph, 8-9 mpg. Truck did great with 4l60e and 3.73s. Stock size 265/75 16 tires. Going up the passes I had to drop to 2nd and hold it to the floor to keep it at 30-40 at a little over 4500 rpms for a few miles. Total weight was around 5500 pounds.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow. I get around that towing with my 454

andfern97

Reaction score
Damn I wish I was pulling a skyline :Big Laugh:. We have a very similar setup, and it's mostly a flat highway ride so I think it should be alright. Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm having the truck in at a shop for some maintenance later this week I'll have them check out the receiver. So keep the tranny in 3rd? I'll probably be spinning around 2800-3000rpms or so is that not a big deal for longer trips? I don't have a brake controller but the trailer has a surge brake, which to my understanding I don't need a controller for
That is correct. A sbc can spin 3k all day and it'll be much better for it than trying to lug the thing to death in an od gear.