Will g80 from 2013 fit my 1994

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Both are 10 bolt. I know the 2013 is 8.6 and my 1995 is 8.5. I’m pretty sure I just need specific bearings but wanted to confirm before pulling out. I also know my axles are 30 spline not sure in the 2013. My friend wrecked his truck and the g80 is free

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. I was thinking the truck was the GMT K2XX, but it's a GMT900...yeah, I think the 8.5/8.6 are basically the same, with appropriate bearing kit per that article I linked.

You got to setup the backlash, etc., right? I know the G80 has a bad reputation, but in stock form it works well. My 99 Silverado 2wd has one, and it's saved me more than a few times from getting stuck. I have LT265/75/16 tires on it. Any G80 is better than an open diff when you get stuck. And free is even better in your case, LOL.

Last edited:

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. Should be fairly easy hopefully just have to get the proper bearings and a shim kit. Not changing the gears just the carrier.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're changing the carrier, you'll have to check backlash before you pull yours apart, and then achieve the SAME backlash when you install the replacement carrier.

At least you don't have to dick with pinion preload and depth.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. So I don’t worry about the “spec” in the service manual? I’m going to grab a dial indicator from harbor freight.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't you have to check the wear pattern with the paint? Isn't the pattern based on the the pinion depth? I doubt both carriers are exactly the same, but maybe you get lucky and get a good pattern if you swap them? Might be worthwhile to check though?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. So I don’t worry about the “spec” in the service manual? I’m going to grab a dial indicator from harbor freight.

You need to put it back the way it broke in or else it'll howl and kill itself.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
That makes sense. As far as putting backlash back to where it was. Is there any room for error? Just for numbers sake let’s say my current backlash is 10 thou and I get the new carrier in and get it to 9 or 11 thou?