Will a 5.7 from a 1995 tahoe work in a 1999 suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jefflroberts

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Suburban that blew a head gasket and I did not realize what happened in time so unfortunately it will not turn over and the coolant/oil mix started leaking from under it. I have not inspected it close but I am pretty sure a new engine is in order, or a rebuild depending on where the leak is coming from. I found a 1995 tahoe that has been wrecked but the engine still runs and it will still move enough to pull itself onto a trailer. I believe the engine in the 1995 is not a vortech but mine is. If I swap the intake and all the exterior engine stuff with my old engine, will the 1995 engine work in my 1999?

Turbokat

Reaction score
The bolt pattern on the intake is different. I guess you could put the vortec heads on the 95 and it would be the same thing

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cam is different too. You can swap the cam, heads, and intake to the TBI block and it should be fine. However, it's probably more trouble than it's worth when a long block Vortec engine is 1800 bucks.

jefflroberts

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Knowing those differences, I agree buying a long block is probably my best bet. The price seems to be right on them. Do you guys recommend a particular brand or part number?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Knowing those differences, I agree buying a long block is probably my best bet. The price seems to be right on them. Do you guys recommend a particular brand or part number?
GM Goodwrench as it is 100% new.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TBI cooling system passages in the block are different than the Vortec; as is the water pump and accessory drive. The block casting may be the same, but the machining of that casting can be different.

I'd expect used-but-usable Vortec engines to be fairly plentiful.