Why no TBI Engine thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good question. There is an awful lot of information on here in regards to them. Wouldn't be a bad thing to lump them into our own little corner of stubborn people who aren't jumping on the LS bandwagon. Lol. I personally would rather keep the old gal running another 300000km+ on TBI. But the LS urge is strong.

If you have a specific question, use the search button. Or even Google it, and usually the answer directs you back to this site.

Minn95Dually

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. With the gads of info why not be in one place? I am trying to figure out performance upgrade paths and seems to be alot of options. Like, is it worth upgrading, should I do TBI mods, what intakes to use, manifolds to use, should I consider a crate engine, things like that.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out performance upgrade paths and seems to be alot of options. Like, is it worth upgrading, should I do TBI mods, what intakes to use, manifolds to use, should I consider a crate engine, things like that.
That's kinda what I did. Instead of a Vortec/LS swap, I decided to "play with TBI". It was fun but somewhat expensive using all new parts as apposed to a junkyard Vortec or LS long block. Then tuning it was an experience too. :waytogo:

I'd love to see what everyone does/has done to theirs. And don't tell me you can't get more than 350 FWHP out of a 5.7L TBI! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's kinda what I did. Instead of a Vortec/LS swap, I decided to "play with TBI". It was fun but somewhat expensive using all new parts as apposed to a junkyard Vortec or LS long block. Then tuning it was an experience too. :waytogo:

I'd love to see what everyone does/has done to theirs. And don't tell me you can't get more than 350 FWHP out of a TBI! :rolleyes:
I was at 370 at the wheels with my old TBI.

Also close to 800 at the crank with a 575SCI that had a blower swap.

Minn95Dually

Reaction score

I'd love to see what everyone does/has done to theirs. And don't tell me you can't get more than 350 FWHP out of a TBI! :rolleyes:
I have the GENV 454 (1995 ECLB C3500 Bone stock, 118, 000 on the clock). It's a dog for sure. Would love/need more power. Part of me wants to keep it period correct as much as possible and stock looking but I want to grin when I mash the go pedal. Trying to figure out if I should keep this engine and do the TBI mods, etc or go heads, intake, cam, and new fuel system. Do I pull it and build it or go crate motor? It's a tow pig so how far can I go with what I have now vs, what is realistic for this truck. That is why I started this thread, so all this great info from you guys is right here.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I should keep this engine and do the TBI mods, etc and go heads, intake, cam,
Fixed it for you. The trick is to get it to breathe better from air cleaner to tail pipe. As far as specifics, someone else will have to chime in. I don't have much experience with BBCs :33: