Why isn't the 99 Tahoe listed on any kits and why only 2 door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mange16v

Reaction score
I have an early build 99 Tahoe with the floor shift 4x4. I am trying to figure out why all the kits I look at say they will only work up to a 1998 and for the Tahoe it has to be a 2 door?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you looking for? The new body style came out in 99, so prolly just confusion.....

Mange16v

Reaction score
Mine is still old Body style. Couple things I am seeing with it though.... I guess technically I should just look at it as a 98. But then from there I see most places say that it will not work with a 4 door Tahoe only the 2 door. But from what I gather from reading that is just a disclaimer for the company.

I have a hard time with anything rough country. I was looking at the Superlift and Tuff country kits and I would prefer to use a Bilstein shock. And a one piece subframe. I am trying my hardest not to rush a decision but its hard with all the black Friday sales going on now haha

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The 2dr Tahoe should be the same thing as the 4dr Tahoe if I am not mistaken, minus the rear doors. This Tahoe body style went from 92-99. Websites like those probably get confused, like @b454rat said, they see the year 1999 and think its a NBS, not an OBS, NBS Tahoe's/Suburban's started in 00.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as lift kits go, there is a difference between 2 and 4 doors. They still sell the kit to 4 doors, just need some crossmember. I have a 4 door with a lift and have no clue what their talking about. But basically from 96 till the last year they are the same. Technically 95 but that's just a different motor...

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
As far as lift kits go, there is a difference between 2 and 4 doors. They still sell the kit to 4 doors, just need some crossmember.
Huh, I did not know that, I thought they were the same. What is different between the two lift kits?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before I got my Yukon with a 4" lift, I had a stock 99 Tahoe that I wanted to lift. I had most of the SAS stuff but just wanted to lift it, stock height was killing me lol. I looked in to getting the Rough Country 2-3" lift but that seems to be junk. When I called about the 4-6" lift, he asked if it was 2 or 4 door, and the 4 doors have an extra or different crossmember that goes behind the tranny or t-bar, but like I said, looking at mine I don't see what they are taking about. Check the link below.....

https://www.ntwonline.com/88-98-che...20-shocks-rough-country-suspension-32767.html

Mange16v

Reaction score
Before I got my Yukon with a 4" lift, I had a stock 99 Tahoe that I wanted to lift. I had most of the SAS stuff but just wanted to lift it, stock height was killing me lol. I looked in to getting the Rough Country 2-3" lift but that seems to be junk. When I called about the 4-6" lift, he asked if it was 2 or 4 door, and the 4 doors have an extra or different crossmember that goes behind the tranny or t-bar, but like I said, looking at mine I don't see what they are taking about. Check the link below.....

https://www.ntwonline.com/88-98-che...20-shocks-rough-country-suspension-32767.html

You have a straight axle swap or superlift? Any thoughts on the tuff country stuff? I feel I always heard good things about them on other types of vehicles. I do like the idea of a one piece boxed subframe.