Why I don’t let others work on my vehicles…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<snip>

How much do you trust the other 5 studs? and the rest of the studs on the truck? Its obvious somebody 'torqued' them with an impact at full line PSI.

I bought extra studs just in case I encountered another “stretchy” one. I inspected all of the others and everything looked good and torqued up with no unexpected odd feeling. I’ll be checking them pretty regularly over the next several months before I can proclaim that they are all good.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great mechanic is like a great spouse. Someone you can fully trust when you're not looking. Thankfully, I trust both of mine. And yes, my mechanic is a family owned business; father, son, daughter, son-in-law, plus the other staff.
There were two guys I trusted like that “back home.” We moved to the Tucson area a bit over a year ago and have to start from scratch. I was fortunate enough to meet a guy around the corner who is ridiculously fanatical about his stuff and he’s been here long enough to know who to trust and who to avoid. He’s been a great resource for me when I’ve needed to find folks to fabricate or to work on things. He’s the one who turned me onto the PDR guy who un-wrinkled a few areas on the truck.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
<snip>

It's why I almost -always- take my wheels/tires loose to the shop, instead of taking the vehicle. Less for them to mess up.

Richard

Certainly not a cost-effective solution, but as soon as I got settled in this place one of my first purchases was a tire mounting machine and a balancing machine. They’ll never pay for themselves, but all my neighbors are happy to be able to use them whenever they want.

Gotta make friends somehow, right?!? HaHa

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
It doesn't pay squat, so it almost always gets the least experienced shop monkey on the job.

It's why I almost -always- take my wheels/tires loose to the shop, instead of taking the vehicle. Less for them to mess up.

Richard
When I was at small town tireshop for 2 years I always treated my customers vehicles better than my own. We had the old post machines So I always tried to have the Teflon protector sleeve on the end of the bar to keep from scratching wheels and when someone wanted white letters out I always picked a letter n lined it up with the valve stem. My friend super mechanic brought down his old school polished aluminum wheels from his show/mud truck for new tires. I knew we didn't have the Teflon so I told him I wasn't gonna **** up his wheels. The other 2 guys "oh we can do it without hurting the wheels!" Famous last words. My friend said if they didn't have the Teflon that he wasn't in a hurry n could bring them back another time. Well they didnt wanna miss the sale and on first wheel the bar scraped almost halfway around the edge of the wheel. Needless to say it was almost a fist fight. Wheel couldn't be replaced as it had long since been sold out. Owner of shop did end up slashing price for him over the other guys' ignorance. Pretty bad cuz they were all friends.