Why!? Drain plug stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm changing all fluids and getting to know this new to me 99 Suburban. Differentials went well, the fluids that came out of both were obviously a decade maybe two old. Turned my attention to the transfer case and found this. Ordered new plugs from parts geek.. But they sent the wrong ones...

My default idea is to pump the fluid out through the fill hole. Looking here to see if anyone has a solution to removing this that doesn't involve a new transfer case.. just yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My default idea is to pump the fluid out through the fill hole. Looking here to see if anyone has a solution to removing this that doesn't involve a new transfer case.. just yet.
If you are confident you can get the pump tube to the lowest point then yes, that will work. Do it after a drive with it up to temperature.

Reaction score
Thanks, all.

That extractor set looks like something to try. If I'm not confident with what I can pump out that will be plan B. I think the same neanderthal that stripped the drain plug also attempted a brake job because three of the four bleeder valves are sheered off.. So much for flushing the fluid this weekend.

fisher

Reaction score
Thanks, all.

That extractor set looks like something to try. If I'm not confident with what I can pump out that will be plan B. I think the same neanderthal that stripped the drain plug also attempted a brake job because three of the four bleeder valves are sheered off.. So much for flushing the fluid this weekend.
Those pipie plug extractors work great. I used the size 3/8 to remove the rear diff fill plug on my 14 bolt FF last week. You'll have to do some drilling deep enough to get most of the extractor seeded in the hole by tapping it in with a hammer. Use a breaker bar on the extractor and use gentle torque to work it loose.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happened to me.

Prior work was done with a 3/8" Allen wrench/Allen socket. The plug has a 10mm recess. I welded a nut to the plug and turned it out.

Took me the longest time to find the correct replacement plug. They kept showing a plug with a flange and gasket that is NOT correct. Correct plug is METRIC tapered pipe thread. Metric pitch of 22 x 1.5.
GM plug 89059626.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score