Why are 88's-98's special?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Three way tie on whats so speacial:
Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Better than my sofa a t home! (95-98)
The drivetrain front to back...trans has its issues.
Styling...they just look cool...

After 20 years ans 388,000 miles.....I sold mine last weekend...Looking for a "newer" 95-98 now....

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me they're special because my dad drove one when I was a kid, and I learned how to drive in one. Not very much experience actually driving one regularly, but I love the looks, an all-time classic.

Hoping to have mine on the road soon, bought it last summer and started restoring but budget has halted that for a while. New gas tank and fuel pump is all ready to go in just need a free day to get down to the farm.

I own a 2014 RCSB, and I love the styling of 14-15 because it's so reminiscent of the GMT400s. Hoping to keep both trucks on the road for a long time, but the 14 is a lot more intimidating to tear into.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be kind of late replying to this thread but just found it. In 2016 after having to sell our travel trailer and Class B Roadtrek motorhome in 2011 due to the 2008 disaster, we realized we still wanted to RV and needed to buy another Suburban. Had a 1988 3/4 ton Burb with 454 we loved and towed with for several years. So went looking for a decent Burb with a good engine to tow with. After months of looking online and in person, wife found our '94 K1500 GMC at a car lot that looked great. It was a one owner, always garaged, 130,000 mile cream puff. Looked like new, in and out. The car lot fixed the A/C and some front end parts for us and we bought it for around $4500. A lot of vehicle for the money. I have always loved the style of the 92-98 Burb (they were'nt changed to GMT 400 till 1992). Smooth and sleek. Easy to work on, has only OBD1 computer so not too complex. Problem was while the original 350 ran good it was gutless. Finally installed a 383 stroker and now we can tow, really tow. We have had to repair a number of components but that's expected for a 27 year old vehicle. Since I kept cracking exhaust manifolds I put JBA shorty headers on it and dual exhaust. Its all paid for and if it needs repair, ain't all that expensive and a lot cheaper than taking on payments for a newer truck. Everything we have is paid for, and we're going to keep it that way and the Suburban helps us do that. Along with our paid for 2008 HHR, we don't plan on every selling either one of them. btw-Still have our 1965 Chevy Van with 292 ci 6 that tows, that we bought in 1970, so we know how to keep cars.

Mech_Lyfe

Reaction score
2nd owner of a 1995 Suburban c1500 5.7l 4L60 rolling with 522,*** on the dash! Original for the body, about 350k on motor (yanked it from previous suburban when it got totaled) and all I’ve done to the engine is refresh all seals! She has a new front end, 1800 on a clean build of tranny. She sits lowered 2in on a set of 22s with plans to bag and completely overhaul the interior.