Why are 88's-98's special?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC-Borg

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the original owner of my 94 k1500 with 250000 miles. Pretty much refurbished it and added 6 inch lift kit. Last project was redoing interior which was gutted, dynamat soundproufed with killer sound system. Currently changing out 6 body mounts which I suppose should be changed after 250000 miles LOL. I love working on this truck because it is so easy and parts are plentiful and affordable. The truck has never let me down in 28 years. It will easily go another 250000 miles. I also have a 2012 F-150 Harley Davidson edition which is OK but my preferred truck is by far my 94. 88-98 series are best trucks ever built.

OLD BLUE 88

Reaction score
Original owner of an 88 K1500. Daily driver for decades, 350k on original engine, rebuild tranny about every 70-100k. Chronic issues w my rig are door hinges and instrument cluster failure. Buddies keep bugging me to get a new truck, "I deserve it". Why? It does what I need it to do, and I don't worry about tearing it up.

barry_g

Reaction score
99 is no different.
they have a bit of a messup in the permanent database records is all..
88-98 should be to the year 2k.

I have a 96 k1500 v8 at 388k.. no codes.
5 speed, never needed anything.
great owner history, mystery install of new motor somewhere along the way.
exactly factory.
the open c frame.. you could crack and ruin it in more ways than one and be back up and running on a 100A welder in 1 day.

the next gen is getting into theories too much, ford proved the box design is a nightmare..and gm kills their corssmembers way too soon.

other than that obd2 injection is a success wherever it is.

I have a 99 and a 96 in the same yard.
the 99 is the legendary 6 liter LS heavy spec on SLT trim (2500hd)

both needed the same welds. started with shock mounts.
our roads are bad i guess.

Skip Fix

Reaction score
My 97 has 300K on the original motor, using some oil so probably a 383 in the future. Tranny rebuild a couple of times but has hauled my race car to Atlanta and Memphis as well as Dallas a lot. My 2015 6.2 gas pulls better better gas mileage but way to much expensive electronics. "Infotainment" center screen went out under warratny part was $600! Tranny temp sensor just went out(part of valve body) 3 weeks out of extended warranty $800. I love the 97 as does the dog, he sits in passenger footwell-new truck can not even fit once grocery bag down there! If only the 97 brakes were worth ad darn-and I already did the MC change -tried the larger 3/4 ton calipers too. I think it is the ABS module as since new if they were engaged it then had better stopping and pedal for the day. Now can not even lock them to engage it!

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've butchered mine , so to speak, and it will never qualify for collector status,
but the 88-98 are tied for first with the best looking body style. :)

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IFS for the 4x4, ride so much nicer and larger interior space.
change of box size was a bit of a pain thou.