Why are 88's-98's special?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of the design on the GMT400. I also like the powertrain options of the GMT800, I however will stick with the GMT400 as like has been said parts are everywhere. There is many of them in my neighborhood. One of the neighbors down the street built a flowerbox that has a GMT400 tailgate as the side that faces the street. Gave me an Idea for one in my own yard lol.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No 400s here any more, daily use during the winter took their frames. (Winter) Got down to 38F last night, furnace and wood stove not hooked up yet. Left all my lights, tvs, and laptop on to heat the place. All Good. Was not dealing with Ida.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But the newer Burb that was the original DD got parked from too many LS related issues....
Curious as to what LS issues were you having? My experience has been just the opposite. The 98 didn't even make it to 150k on the original engine then it got a brand new crate motor at 280k.The transmission and rear end were dead before 200k. Its at 300k now and i think the front diff is the only thing that hasn't had to be replaced, mechanically speaking anyway. The 06 is at the same milage with no engine work unless you count an alternator and the original transmission mission made it to 265k before needing a rebuild and thats with 35s on it for 10 years with 3.42 gears. Other than that just oil changes and keeping gas in it.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I chat with someone who has one of the $75,000 trucks that is more decorated brothel than truck, I like remind them that while I concede the cab comfort my truck will haul as much, more than some (SCLB), the AC (finally!) is just as cold and I have less than 5 grand in the whole thing. Two payments on the best and latest per year will keep mine running forever. Year one I had the transmission done (about one payment) and this year I have had the AC done (less than one more). I have driven it all over NC with no issues. Right now I figure I have kept about 65 grand or more in my pocket and can do "truck stuff" just fine. Yes I have more to do but I would rather have the bucks in my pocket. That is why the 88-98 is so special (mine is a '93 with 266,000 miles).

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 K1500 with a 5.7L 123k miles which I inherited from my mom, the original owner, 3 years ago so free to me. This spring I put in a marine intake and cam, 1.6 stamped steel rockers, 24X ignition, and shorty headers for about $2500 (my labor) including the dyno tune (local speed shop) to get it running post 24X. Ended up with 297hp/378tq so LM7 hp with LQ9 tq but a flat torque curve with peak at a very useable 3500rpm. The Gen4s and higher beat on performance but the truck is uniquely mine and plenty of truck for what I use it for. The present day trucks are good on paper but I'm not a fan of fake scoops, gangsta bling badges, and shapes that look like a transformer in vehicle mode. Add to that the need for an 8 year note to have affordable monthlies means a pass from me. Also, despite being computerized it is still at it's core the same SBC that powered GM for 50 years. Just something about it. My FIL has a 2019 K1500 with the 5.3L and it's a good truck but I wouldn't trade for it. The funny thing is that I suspect he would.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GMT400 truck was the last style of truck that looked "right" parked in a field at harvest time. (A mid 70s RCLB 2WD with round headlights looked better and a ~1950 advanced design truck was the best, IMHO). Modern crew cabs with leather interior and dvd players, well they just don't look right parked in the field.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Curious as to what LS issues were you having? My experience has been just the opposite. The 98 didn't even make it to 150k on the original engine then it got a brand new crate motor at 280k.The transmission and rear end were dead before 200k. Its at 300k now and i think the front diff is the only thing that hasn't had to be replaced, mechanically speaking anyway. The 06 is at the same milage with no engine work unless you count an alternator and the original transmission mission made it to 265k before needing a rebuild and thats with 35s on it for 10 years with 3.42 gears. Other than that just oil changes and keeping gas in it.
The oil pressure is bad on startup, probably the screen on the sensor. The valve train is noisy all the time, even running 10w30 oil. And the temperature sensor in the trans went crazy; $12 part that costs big bucks to replace, since it's inside the transmission. And numerous issues with the fancy Denali bits, all the charging ports went out, and don't get me started on the TPMS and the plated aluminum wheels that looked great until the chrome started to flake off. This is an 06 Denali with the 6.0, aluminum heads/ iron block.
Whereas the ol Burb with its L31 5.7 small block just keeps on chugging along.....

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AFM is a big issue with the LS engines. AFM has killed may a LS engine. GM just got it rite with the GMT 400 line of trucks.
We have an 08 Yukon XL with that mess in it, fouling the #1 plug because of the valve cover design or some oil diverter thing that they didn’t redesign until a few years later. Can’t say I’m that impressed, it’s always averaged 14-mpg but we have nearly 200k on it and it’s otherwise been stupidly reliable. Wife wants something smaller now that the kids are older, so I’m hoping to get another year out of it (I don’t do car notes).

But, we had three of the 5.3 99-06 versions (before AFM) and they were absolute champs. GM really improved the brakes, A/C and headlight output on them.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had 3 OBS, two over 300k which sold during past 4 years, still see em driving by all the time too! The new owners still come to me to fix their trucks when issues arise too. My current 97 k1500 has 225k on it and I have about Everything I need to drop a low mile 02 6.0l LS into it....easy HP upgrade, I have over 4k in parts to put on the old 97 frame, I would have bought another truck but as a mechanic I haven't seen one yet that is even close to reliable and solid as my 97 so the money goes into it instead. It'll be better than new when I'm done and last another 25 years I'm sure.