Why are 88's-98's special?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nomad yessir

Reaction score
I just bought a '97 Yukon two months ago and I love it. It's a 5.7L with 268,000 miles on it and it seems to run like new, with plenty of power. (My last truck was a '92 Silverado, stick shift. I loved that one too.) I also really like the body style of these years. I was thinking of getting a Yukon or Tahoe or Silverado in the '00-'06 range, but are they any better than the late nineties models? And what about 99's? Are they not as good as the '88-'98 years? What's really sets the '88-'98 models apart?
I appreciate your input!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The only thing I like about the 99-06's is the LS engine. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of 'em. Around here in the midwest and salt belt, the frames are notorious for cracking.

Like you, I also like this body style, which is why I have 2 of them, lol. I'm more fond of the 96-98 trucks since they have the Vortec engine, major improvement over the TBI..... until the intake manifold gaskets give out. GM didn't call this truck "LIKE A ROCK" in their commercials for no reason.

The 88-98's were also considered one of the last real pickup trucks. To me, these trucks have the perfect blend of old school and modern. Old school mechanicals and design, with modern features and electronics.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to both generations, but either are really good. I think they are popular because they are still pretty basic (not a lot of electronics that fail) and overall things don't break on them, they get decent gas mileage for being pretty powerful trucks.

I think once you fix common problems they are very reliable trucks.

The early GMT-400 are the TBI era: 88-95
The late GMT-400 are the Vortec era: 96-98, '99 Classic in the 1500 series; 96-00 in the 2500-3500 series.
This for the trucks. There are some overlaps in 95, but don't know the specifics. SUVs were a bit different on the years.

My Dad and youngest brother each have TBI GMT400 1500 trucks. I bought a '00 K3500 GMT400 after owning a 99 GMT800 since college. I like both body styles.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When GM built the GMT 400 trucks, they put a lot of time and money into research. Toyota was killing GM back then. You could but a new Tacoma ,and get over 500,000 miles out of that truck. In the 1970s through the 1980s a GM was shot at 100,000 miles. GMT 400s were also the first GM truck built in a wind tunnel. Where before the 400 trucks, the tolerances were passable at maybe 50,000, tolerances and when the 400 trucks were built that changed to maybe 5,000 tolerances. It was close to what Toyota was doing. These are the American made trucks that were built to compete with Toyota. The problem with all of this is, when you build a truck that can last for 20+ years, there is no need for your customers to buy a new one. The 400 trucks are also the perfect blend on tech and usefulness. Not to complex, but complex enough to make a very reliable truck. The last of the first gen small block GM engines. An engine that had a 50 year + run. That's a lot of time to figure out any and all issues presented by that design. It's down fall was fuel millage. The LS engines were designed for better fuel millage. The early GMT 800 trucks were close to as good as the 400 trucks, but the farther you get away from the 1999 time line, the more BS was added to those engines. AFM is a big issue with the LS engines. AFM has killed may a LS engine. GM just got it rite with the GMT 400 line of trucks.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly think alot of it is simply nostalgia and they're pretty easy to work on. I've got a 98 and 06, both extended cab 1500 z71. Had both for many years and both have right at 300k miles and really the only thing the 98 does better is have cheaper insurance.

Now if I had the time and funds to do a 6.0, 4l80 swap, change out the interior to a full gmt800 interior, and solid axle swap it then it would be getting pretty close to perfect.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1st EFI (TBI) system came out in 87 and ran through 95. It's quite a dependable set up with computer controlled ignition and fuel management. In late 91 - 92 GM went with the Electronic controlled transmission too. When my 88 5.7L blew its head gaskets, I debated going Vortec or LS but, decided to stick with the TBI and play with it. I'm having a lot of fun playing with it. I'll probably never sell it and give it to my son when the time comes. I've been thinking about a 'Hoe or 'Burb for my next project - it'll be another OBS truck too! :waytogo:

BTW - Welcome and got any pics?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
As others have said, the 400 platform is easier and cheaper to service than the later models. And other than the " once or twice in the lifetime of the truck" stuff, they're pretty decent and dependable. My 99 Burb just turned 200K last month, and we've had it for over 8 years. The last 4, it's been a daily driver in the Houston, Texas area. Wasn't what we bought it for; it was intended to be the swap meet and weekend truck. But the newer Burb that was the original DD got parked from too many LS related issues....
Some things on the 800 platform ( 2000-06 on the SUVs) are better, like the"no tools required" headlights, and the door handles are made better. And GM knew they had a great design with the 400s, so they didn't tweak it much for the next generation. Mainly filled it out a little, made it look muscular....then they went back to the boxy style for the next versions. But the 400s are such a clean, timeless design! Easy to see why they got tricked out and custom paint and graphics back in the day....And the extended cab pickup was an offering that needed to be made!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Oklahoma. If I throw a rock, it bounces off three of these trucks before it hits the ground. Parts will always be readily available. I could probably buy three first gen C/Ks by the end of the day if I needed to, just by driving down some back roads and making offers.

Also, they're the last of the non-multiplexed trucks. You don't have computers tying everything together. Back when my '87 Jag still had the XK engine in it, I removed the stupid "trip computer" when I ditched the dash, and the fuel injection system quit until I plugged it back in and ziptied it to the roll cage.