Who has the best reputation for reman 4L60E’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, the trans in my 94 K1500 has officially kicked the bucket, after a filter and fluid change it soon gained 5 more neutrals and now I need a new one. I haven’t found a good local shop near me, and I don’t know where to start when it comes to an online trans. So hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for a reman trans.

I’d like to keep it under 2K shipped, I don’t want my trans rebuilt since it’s a 95 retrofitted to “work” in a 94, and I don’t plan on making any more than 260hp out of my dog of a TBI motor. Preferably I’d like one that has all new internals with upgraded parts, heavy duty sunshell, upgraded valve bodies and shift points, tougher 2-4 band, and the other usual 4L60E stuff. I’ll also need a new, OEM-spec low stall torque converter to go with it.

If anyone can help me out, I’d really appreciate it! I’ve looked at Monster Transmission and Powertrain Products, and while they seemed really good at first, they had a lot of bad reviews and don’t seem trustworthy, and I’m not sure where else to look.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Based on you're location, I'm assuming Choctaw is out side OKC. If so, and willing to make the drive, I highly recommend Transmission Doctor in Greenwood, Ar, just outside Fort Smith. Despite how sketchy their name may sound, I have had two transmissions rebuilt by them, as well as my uncle and my mom has had hers worked on by them as well. The man who owns it(retired now), showed me drag cars he built back in the day. They will definitely help you when you with any issues that may arise. Because of that, that's why I chose them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve looked at Monster Transmission and Powertrain Products, and while they seemed really good at first, they had a lot of bad reviews and don’t seem trustworthy, and I’m not sure where else to look.

Good call, especially regarding Monster.

I would check prices from Hughes. I don't think I've ever read a bad review on them.

Or... 4L80E swap... :biggrin:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
4L80 for sure and Monster is horrid, There is a place that @Wh4t3v3rs recommended to me "Flip O Matic Racing Transmissions" based in Rose Hill KS. I did find a local place that builds drag racing transmissions if I ever blow up a 4L80E lol.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd call down to Oklahoma Transmission Supply, 800-288-3668, and ask who they recommend. If you have any inclination to tackle it yourself (not recommended), they have all the parts cheaper than you'll find anywhere else.

If I were to make a drive for a transmission, it would be to Precision Transmission in the Texas panhandle, but you'd have to drag the whole truck - they don't do carry-outs.

You might be able to drain the pan, throw in some Type F and get it driveable long enough to get it to a shop.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't you in a suburb of OKC? Surely there a good reputable builders in town.

With all those mods you are asking, I doubt you can find a unit at that price and shipped. Just a set of gaskets, bushings, seals and clutches will eat up 1/4 of that price minimum. Price a few of the drums and internals and I'd guess just parts alone will consume most of what are willing to pay. Internals will add up in price in a hurry. Aftermarket converters are running $350+. Even stock ones are around $200.

If your truck was newer, I'd say screw it and just roll a dice on a newer unit from the junkyard or the part-out place. Sometimes you can find good working units for $400-$500 from running trucks. But being the odd years of the 4L60 I'm not sure that's possible.

I suppose there's no way to change out the electronics can be updated to a newer 4L60e? Maybe swapping the entire valve body? I don't know anything about those transition year, but just asking the question. The issue is the ECU controlling it, right?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll add that if you do decide to take on the rebuild yourself, I recommend this guy. I purchased a master rebuild kit from him for the 4L80e and it comes with about 8 hours worth of videos. It's an excellent source of information. I still have mine torn apart, but have faith I can get it working again; it's a weekends project. He's got training videos for the other common domestic transmissions.

But as has been mentioned, it's a big job, so you need to dedicate a lot of time to the project. Even if you decide to get a shop to rebuild it for you, it's a good learning experience on what the magic is behind the mechanics of an automatic transmission.

The advantages are you can upgrade parts as you see fit while saving a lot of money. There's a lot of performance upgrades some rebuilders may not even know about. For a daily driver with stock power, those upgrades translate for superior durability over a standard rebuild. And no guessing if parts were inspected or replaced...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good luck

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had two 700R4's and a 4L60E built by Monster Transmissions and Performance out of Brooksville, Florida.
My 700R4 has over 80K on it behind a mildly modified 350sbc) in a 4x4 K1500 Suburban (started out life in a K5 Blazer. It does not see allot of rough usage but occasionally it gets put through it's paces off-road.
The second is behind a 450 RWHP truck that see's regular duty at the track and street use. I would guess it has 300 or so passes on it plus street duty. The owner of that truck is getting ready to order a 4L80E for a turbocharged truck project.
The 4L60E is the newest going on 24k miles behind a mildly modified 5.3 in a Avalanche. No idea the current engine output but it runs well.
What I have found with most that are bashing Monster Transmissions - Brooksville, FL is they are confusing them with a similar named company out of California. FYI - the company most are calling bad reviews on were taken to court by the real Monster Transmission and Performance over trademark infringement. The company changed their name and as of early 2020 were no longer in business.

I have dealt with this Monster Transmission and Performance (Florida) for over 8 years. They always call and verify the build that I want and the application to make sure it is a fit. I have called twice for information and the tech on the other end was very helpful and knowledgeable. These were fresh builds with new lines, new coolers and using the recommended fluids for that particular build.

You may also check your area to find a Certified Winners Circle Transmission dealer. They have great products as well.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Summit has one with warranty under 2k. I’m am sure someone around you would offer the same but with install less than 2k.
I have built 2 myself with the dude stuetaeng listed. Easy if you have the time but buy the tools. I did one for me and one for my buddy both are solid. Mine has 20k on it and threw a bunch of sonnax parts at it instead. I highly recommend their shift improvement kit as well as the 2-4 billet servo. Works good in a heavy ass 4x4 burb that tows. I also used the Derale 19 row cooler. Keeps temps around 150 on the highway. Good luck. Reach out if you want some specifics.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
@Trlrider NO WAY! I was wondering why there were so many mixed reviews online about monster... the best... the worst.... well that makes a lot of sense.

I almost ordered a monster transmission and I'm in Canada. Shipping made me look else where and I found a highly reputable shop that's been in the business since the 60's. my 4l60e is a stage 3 HD rated at 600HP but my engine is completely stock and never opened with half a million kms on it. HAHA so I should never have any problems with it. it's been 7-8 years now and has worked flawlessly!

going that route it was about the same price as shipping a monster across the border. oh and I'm sure there would be a crazy import tax on it.... pushing the price up a bit more.

I dont think a good shop would have any trouble rebuilding that case properly for your truck.