Who has the best reputation for reman 4L60E’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have found with most that are bashing Monster Transmissions - Brooksville, FL is they are confusing them with a similar named company out of California. FYI - the company most are calling bad reviews on were taken to court by the real Monster Transmission and Performance over trademark infringement. The company changed their name and as of early 2020 were no longer in business.
Do you remember the name of that company?

my 4l60e is a stage 3 HD rated at 600HP
That's kinda funny - the "Stage 2" 700R4 trans I got from Transmission Depot is rated 600HP too. It came with a 2300-2500 stall TC. Cost ~$2300 with shipping. I WOULD NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN! 1st, they sent me a trans out of a car instead of a truck. 2nd it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd at WOT. At 3/4 throttle it'll shift. 3rd when in 3rd WOT when it gets up to ~5000 RPM it starts freewheel like it's in neutral. And like everyone who posted complaints against Monster and Tran Depot said, you have to pay for removal, shipping to and from, and installation. Removal and installation isn't bad since we'll do it ourselves again but, crating and shipping to/from ain't worth it! Someday I'll take my truck to a local shop, if I can find a good one, and have them fix it. It's probably a servo valve, boost valve, or something, IDK. Anyone have an idea?

www.transdepot.net/td700r4st2

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you remember the name of that company?

I do not remember what the California company was, at this time! I may have it in my notes filed away back in the shop.
The last transmission I ordered from Monster Transmission and Performance was late 2018 and that was a 4L60E!
Tom was the same rep that helped with my previous transmission. Was told 8 weeks to the door, received it in 6.
As I stated previously I have 2 myself and a 3rd ordered for a friends truck that I installed.

After reading the complaints about Monster here, I went digging thru google, and it looks like they have a load of complained since mid-2019. We were going to order a 4L80E for a project in a couple of months, but now I will need to call and see if Tom is still there, and find out what gives. All my previous interactions with them have been great.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're in a hurry I'd be inclined to agree with stutaeng. I rebuilt my own several years ago using an ATSG manual, which is written for the 93-94 transmissions. It took me a couple days and wasn't too bad but mine was a 96 model so there was some differences. Afterward I found an update manual (ATSG) for the later models. I found the website transmissionbench.com (videos available on YouTube also) a few years ago, Jim's instructions are much simpler than reading the manual and accurate based on my experience. I'm probably just like most guys on this forum in that I prefer to do my own work because I know what I've got when I get done versus some unknown in a shop somewhere. Ever seen the old AAMCO commercials from the mid 80s?

harle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monster Transmission out of Florida may be the biggest mistake I’ve ever made with a gmt400. 100% pure trash. Have a good sales department though...

Selrahc360

Reaction score
I have to good luck with Detroit Axle upto three warranty. Most shops use ETE transmission and that is what is in my K3500. But a 4L80E, I would suggest upgrading if you doing a lot of towing.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, a "real" transmission shop should have a transmission dyno so they can run the transmission through its paces before they install it. When I went through transmission school, we built 700R4s and put them on the dyno. It had pressure gauges for every circuit and a GM V6 to run the transmission through its paces. Mail order transmissions with no dyno test are a crapshoot because you're relying on the ability of the guy rebuilding it. If you're lucky, they have a second technician who verifies it was done right, but how do you know his signature isn't just a pencil-whip?

I don't know who does or doesn't have a tranny dyno around here.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
Monster Transmission out of Florida may be the biggest mistake I’ve ever made with a gmt400. 100% pure trash. Have a good sales department though...
Friend got 1 from them also for a gmt400 burban . Few items wrong out of the box . And never was 100% right . They also wouldnt make the deal right .

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
And if they have a dyno did they USE IT ?

local a$$hole trans guy here in town got me on this years ago . Went to install on a c4 on sat afternoon and converter didnt fit . Box was still sealed . Pulled pan only had assembly oil & lube drippings in it . . . I was BEYOND PISSED ! . . . He fixed the problem monday and got lucky as its shifts good and works . . . .