who are the go to steering/suspension parts now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smashdn

Reaction score
Old thread, which is not necessarily a bad thing as I am interested to know how the Mevotech TTX components are holding up. I am starting into the suspension of my 98 K1500 Suburban. I am 95% sure at 235K miles I am sitting on the stock or at best really, really old replacement suspension components. I am a proponent of upgrade as you replace so looking to beef up as I refresh the front end.

The tires that are currently on it are badly and unevenly worn. I do not know how long the PO was riding like that but clearly it indicates neglect and possibly issues with suspension geometry. Before I put the wheels and tires I have squirreled away for it I want the suspension sorted. Plus in the little I have driven it (~20 miles just to go to town to get it licensed) it wanders all over the road.

Thinking keep the LCA's and replace bushings and bj's, new UCA's and bj's, bump stops, tie rod ends, sway bar end links and bushings, shocks. Probably need brakes and rotors. Wouldn't mind sending the CV axles out for rebuild and balance.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old thread, which is not necessarily a bad thing as I am interested to know how the Mevotech TTX components are holding up. I am starting into the suspension of my 98 K1500 Suburban. I am 95% sure at 235K miles I am sitting on the stock or at best really, really old replacement suspension components. I am a proponent of upgrade as you replace so looking to beef up as I refresh the front end.

The tires that are currently on it are badly and unevenly worn. I do not know how long the PO was riding like that but clearly it indicates neglect and possibly issues with suspension geometry. Before I put the wheels and tires I have squirreled away for it I want the suspension sorted. Plus in the little I have driven it (~20 miles just to go to town to get it licensed) it wanders all over the road.

Thinking keep the LCA's and replace bushings and bj's, new UCA's and bj's, bump stops, tie rod ends, sway bar end links and bushings, shocks. Probably need brakes and rotors. Wouldn't mind sending the CV axles out for rebuild and balance.
What about idler bracket, idler arm and pitman arm? Maybe close to 20k on TTX-ball joints and inner/outer tie rods and still rock solid.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say, I am intrigued by XRF parts. This kit or the correct package for your truck might be worth looking at.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind sending the CV axles out for rebuild and balance.
While I'm sure it's possible, I've never heard of anyone looking for a rebalance of the CV shafts. They're short, and they spin about 1/3 to 1/4 the RPM of the driveshaft.

Replacing boots--and to a lesser extent, joints, used to be common, now everyone just buys a Chinese CV shaft and scraps the original.

smashdn

Reaction score
New stuff has been ordered.

From the amazonians I got the ttx ball joints, tie rod ends and end links. Ordered detroit axle hubs and cv axles.

Got the Cunningham Machine sleeve.

Got an O'reillys gift card so got lca bushings, idler arm and pittman arm from there. Made in India and made in china so that felt all warm and fuzzy.

Still need shocks, thinking bilstein 4600. They are what is on my Sierra and they seem fine. Probably need brakes. Want to get stabilizer bar bushings but I didn't know the diameter of the bar I have. Hopefully stock steering linkage isn't shot but I would not be crushed if I was given the opportunity to replace it. And idler bracket.

What did I miss?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not.....
I ordered a Moog problem solver kit from Rock Auto. It had the A-arms and tie rods. Got some other items also to go along with the kit also. I have only driven the truck a half mike so far so no clue if the Moog parts will stand the test of time. I do know all the parts took a ton of grease to fill.

Ken

JJF20

Reaction score
I will say, I am intrigued by XRF parts. This kit or the correct package for your truck might be worth looking at.

I’ve used XRF a couple times now. If not using oem, I was impressed with them. No issues, everything fit, all greased ready to go. I’ll use them again.

Personally I’ve given up on Moog, especially the ball joints.