Which GM cam to perfect the L31?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
Looking to fully utilize the L31's performance that GM could have possibly done via OEM. It's just a street truck no need for max performance but would like to get all that i can out of the L31 intake without the marine manifold. Not saying I wont eventually go to the marine manifold later, just trying to utilize the stock engine max potential.
ZZ4?
GM845?
GM395(ramjet)
GM846?
Hot cam?

Thank all that take a look and give me serious feed back, I have other project for the LS swaps, so just give me what ya can on this.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you done any other mods or is this a stock engine. Stall converter? Upgraded injectors? Does the computer have a tune done and/or will you be getting it tuned?
Asking because there is more to it than just throwing in a cam and calling it a day. With that being said.

LT4 Hotcam (same cam for a ZZ4 I believe) or GM 846 would work nicely. I would advance the LT4 Hotcam from the drop in 109 ICL to a 105 ICL. (This will require an adjustable timing set). If you go with the 846 I would probably advance it 4 degrees as well. I have never used a GM 845 cam and not sure of its specs.

Key is if you have not done any head work you get into a danger zone going above .470" lift. Some guys will say you are safe to .490".

Ultimately if you have a trusted and good engine builder/machine shop they can lead you in a better direction.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its hard to beat the Hotcam and springs but it definitely is a hotrod at that point and idles as such imo ....I have run the ramjet cam twice- its a pretty tame 246 256 .431 .451 109 cam that yields 345 hp 400 tq advertised with vortecs I believe -and has had 19" of vacuum in both my setups ....again its a really tame grind.

If I had to do a mild to warm street build with air conditioning over again I would like to try an ELGIN cam part # E1136P 260/265 .462/.470" lift, 110* and an S10 converter . On paper that looks like it should be just about right .......

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
the engine is still stock, I've also thought of the Lloyd Elliot cams when we look at the heads I've thought of either going with scoggin dicky's vortec if not going with the bowtie vortecs as I may get the itch to increase to a 383

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
For the basic build it's really just a zz4 cam, s10 stall, gm's injector upgrade, vmaxx manifold spacer, full exhaust and tune. simple but should be a pretty nice combo.

idk If it'd would have any chance in a street race against newer vehicle but it would definitely be a fun useful daily driving truck.

Imagining that'd maybe put me close to 300whp

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm planning on running the HT383 cam and some 1.6 rockers when I do my full build. You need to think of what your going to use the truck for when picking your cam. Some of the cams mentioned make their power at the upper limit of the vortec power range. So down low they are a dog. These trucks are heavy especially if 4wd, you need some low end grunt to get that mass moving more easily so a cam that produces more torque lower in the rpm range will be funner to drive everyday.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
I more so looking at the zz4 cam or the ramjet cam. I feel like the zz4 is a little more of an all around cam especially with the s10 torque convertor. Truck will be street truck that can tow as well as go, NOT looking for high rpm power nor do I expect it... maybe in the rebuild once I get tired of basic.

From what it looks like, the 395 is a updated and possible replacement of the 845 cam.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what it looks like, the 395 is a updated and possible replacement of the 845 cam.

The 395 cam is the same cam as the HT383, RV and ramjet I believe. Everyone says it's a good all around driver cam even on a stock tune/stock stall. And you can get a little more out of it with a good spring upgrade and 1.6 rockers too.