Where to power three 30 amp circuits in the cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to install the '94 Cadillac heated power seats and Ford Freestyle center console in my '89 Stepside, "Way Cool Jr".

Supposedly heated seats can draw up to 30 amps, so I have a dedicated power circuit for each seat that will be hot at all times. The same power lead also runs the power seat controls, so it needs to be hot all the time in case I need to move the seat after I park.

The center console has two cigarette lighter outlets and I put a 300w inverter in the backside of it. I'm putting those on another 30 amp circuit. I have a low-power tap from the fuse block to turn a relay on when the key is on, and the relay will power this circuit.

I need to run hot-all-the-time, fused power to each of these three circuits. Where would you run three 30a circuits from? I have a firewall pass-through stud I pulled from the Jaggernaut years ago, so I could run a hot wire straight from the battery and put a small fuse panel in the cab, but if there's already a source, I'd rather not drill another hole in the firewall and screw another fuse panel under the dash.

WWYD?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd run a dedicated cable (maybe 4 AWG ?), with a main fuse/breaker, from the battery to something like this inside the cab. Be careful about leaving your heated seats hot all the time, even if you have a pressure switch in the seat that will turn them off, if that switch shorts out the heater will stay on all the time and at best drain your battery, at worst start a fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ho...ds=12+volt+relay+panel&qid=1585002255&sr=8-10

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to mention that. They have to have power to a separate small-gauge orange wire, which also will be tapped off the wire coming from the fuse panel. When the key's off the seats won't heat.