Where to find V6 A.I.R. parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uhhhmm.. well, that was less than informative. Seems that website recorded my VIN and spit out a generic page to suckle me into paying money.

Oh well.

So here's a dumb question: At that same yard, we found shorty headers on a 94 (I think) K1500 with the 4.3L Vortec. A quick google search says "oh yeah, they'll fit....*snicker, snicker*.... I'll take the fitment gamble for the performance gain on that.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, then I have one more option left before I'm really EFFED. The yard I usually go to is closed today, seeing as it's the 4th of July. They are, however, open until 7pm during the week for the summer. I can go there any night of the week after work. The problem, however, is finding the V6 engine. Wish me luck lol.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yet another update with both good and bad news. The bad news is that I've managed to find a min to peruse the more local yard. Found at least a half dozen pre-Vortec V6 K1500's. Not a single one had the same emissions setup. Bummer.

I did, however, find a SWEET 88 K2500 RCLB with a 5.7L, 5-speed, and oh so many interior goodies EXCEPT for the "nice" cupholder. Too bad the whole truck was thoroughly rotted away. I kind of want that engine. I don't have $$$ for that engine lol.

Now the good news. I'm so disgusted with looking for this part, that I sought the advice of my father in law, who is also a retired mechanic. I know, that doesn't mean much on this forum, but it means a lot to me and he's never steered me wrong. He says that for the age of the truck, no one (around here) is going to check for emissions. Plug the threaded holes in the exhaust manifolds and take the belt off of the smog pump. You'll be fine.

I think I'm going to give that a try.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before this thread becomes over a month old and considered "ancient", I thought I'd throw a small update in here. I've managed to locate and acquire that damned A.I.R. pipe, albeit the V8 version. Lots and lots of research later show me that that pipe, once removed from the V8 passenger side exhaust manifold, SHOULD bolt right up to the V6 passenger side exhaust manifold with minor modification, if any.

Now, for the big question: Why am I so adamant about a 30+ year old pipe that NO ONE cares about anymore? Because I want it fixed right. Yeah I may have accidentally destroyed the last remaining 80's V6 SBC emissions pipe in existence, but, where there's a will there's a way.

I have a long weekend coming up and I believe that I now have 99% of the parts that I need to put this hoopty back on the road. I am, however, still waiting on a hood release cable from Rock Auto to come in. So, come Friday morning, it'll be wrench time.

Oh and BTW: The driver side wheel well is quickly becoming a rusty, rotted mess. I'd say that it is borderline savable in its current condition. I've been looking high and low for a good used one with no luck so far. The reason, however, that I don't just get a new one is because while they are actually reasonably priced @ $60 + tax - they are $100 EFFING dollars to ship! HELL NO!

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit usually has free shipping if you buy more than $100. When I wanted to replace my under-bumper spoiler RockAuto had them for under $20, but the shipping was over $100. Summit had the spoiler for a little over $20 if I remember right, but the shipping was free, so I tacked on $80 worth of other stuff I needed. A fender might have a separate shipping charge, but it's worth checking into.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of new aftermarket inner fenders on ebay lately. A pair for $99, free shipping.

I will never trust Thief-Bay ever again. I got burned BAD one time from those mooks when I was trying to sell an F150. I swore I'd never again deal with that rotten, thieving, communist website.

Summit usually has free shipping if you buy more than $100. When I wanted to replace my under-bumper spoiler RockAuto had them for under $20, but the shipping was over $100. Summit had the spoiler for a little over $20 if I remember right, but the shipping was free, so I tacked on $80 worth of other stuff I needed. A fender might have a separate shipping charge, but it's worth checking into.

I get what you're trying to say. By spending that additional $80 on parts instead of shipping, you'll have something for the money.

Here's an idea: I'll just sell my entire fleet in hopes of recouping the thousands of dollars I've spent on junk over the years.

Or, I could have just bought ONE nice vehicle and avoided this entire mess. Same concept, much broader scale. Summit Racing can keep their effing "free" shipping scam, because it's not really free.

Yes, I'm cheap, ok?

EDIT: Sorry for the rant. It's nothing personal. Money (or lack thereof) is a very sensitive subject matter for me.

Last edited: