Where to begin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma540

Reaction score
Buy a few basic books (how to rebuild your sbc, engine blueprinting, etc), start reading in your down time. Read it with the mindset of "I really want to learn this", not "I HAVE to learn this". Get a notebook out and jot down your goals (power requirements, usage of the vehicle, parts needed and required), then start shopping. You can "rebuild" a sbc stupid cheap. It won't be a 200,000 mile engine, but it'll last you a long time. The experience and knowledge gained will be worth the cost of admission. Many of the younger generations are of the "just buy it" mindset (and that's perfectly ok), but I'm a huge fan of "the experience". There's a lot of pride in accomplishment missing these days, and things come far too easy. Doubtful you'd even need most of the machining processes that are offered. With today's efficient fuel injected engines, bore still look perfect at 150,000 miles. Line hone? Doubt you'd need that. Decking? Maybe, but doubtful. You could easily walk out the machine shop door holding a bill for a bore/hone, hot tank/blast job, and cam bearing install. As I said, this won't be a 200,000 mile engine, but it'll last a long time. Shop around for GOOD used heads, hyper pistons, correct rings/bearings/gaskets, and a decent budget valvetrain setup.......you could wind up "all in" for a grand to fifteen hundreds clams. And you'll have done it all yourself, joined a special club, and have pride in what you accomplished. Then, on your second engine, you'll have gained the knowledge to.........just buy one.

TexasT

Reaction score
While this might not be the preferred method, I see nothing wrong with an engine that is disassembled, cleaned, measured(a decent set of micrometers off ebay/FB/Craigslist should be fine) and decide if it even needs machine work. I mean, you aren't flying to the moon, or competing in Nascar.

YouTube is your friend. Check out vice grip garage. He has vids in low buck over haul techniques. And so does diy_garage_tx he does ls stuff but the hone and such is the same procedure.

A berry ball hone job, some new rings, maybe have the heads worked over by a shop or just pull the springs and give the valves a spin with a lapping tool and lapping compound. I'm sure all will agree a good three angle valve job will flow more, but you could be on a budget. And spinning that lapping tool will build character and give a decent seal.

A hoist, and engine stand will be needed. Also the mics, spring compressor if you do the valves yourself, hand tools and such.

As mentioned, some books and a shop manual for the engine you are working on should get you started. I want to commend you for wanting to be able to say, "Yes, I assembled it." It is a great feeling.

some links
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: