Where to begin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dixietruck

Reaction score
I have never built an engine before, and would like to take a stab at it. I don’t really know where to start. It would be a 350 vortec. I would like to have more power, but retain reliability as much as possible. Where should I even begin?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Machine work has to be done when doing a rebuild. For what it will cost you, you can get a crate engine. That being said, if you want to keep your OE engine, then you can pull it, and bring it to an automotive machine shop. Have them do the machine work, then You can put the parts back on ( EG heads, timing chain, oil pan ECT). All of the fine machine work takes 100s of thousands of dollars of special machine lathes to cut and mill your heads, engine block ECT. Not to mention dip wash the block.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What they said - get yourself a short/long block and research "bolt-ons" like cam, heads, TB, intake, fuel pump/pressure, exhaust, mufflers, etc.

Do your homework before your even start...

Dixietruck

Reaction score
Machine work has to be done when doing a rebuild. For what it will cost you, you can get a crate engine. That being said, if you want to keep your OE engine, then you can pull it, and bring it to an automotive machine shop. Have them do the machine work, then You can put the parts back on ( EG heads, timing chain, oil pan ECT). All of the fine machine work takes 100s of thousands of dollars of special machine lathes to cut and mill your heads, engine block ECT. Not to mention dip wash the block.
I understand the cost, I’m in this purely for the sake of being able to say I can do it.

Dixietruck

Reaction score
What they said - get yourself a short/long block and research "bolt-ons" like cam, heads, TB, intake, fuel pump/pressure, exhaust, mufflers, etc.

Do your homework before your even start...
I’ve heard of a lot of people using carbs after doing this is there any benefit to a carb

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard of a lot of people using carbs after doing this is there any benefit to a carb
When you can tune a carb dependent on atmospheric pressures changes (MAP at key-on), how much fuel compared to intake volumetric flow (MAP vs RPM), based on engine temperature (CTS), adjust fuel pressure/flow with a turn of a screw (AFPR), and adjust air fuel ratio automatically (INT/BLM) as accurately as a computer can, not to say anything about timing (SA), performance enhancement (PE), acceleration enrichment (AE), knock reduction (KR) in timing, etc. - go for it!

Just saying, even the oldest TBI ECMs (160 baud rate) were a lot more accurate than a "Holley Carb Adjuster" as we used to call it (or small screwdriver), LOL

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the middle of an aluminum head 383 build to replace my Vortec 350. I am staying EFI with a Marine dual plane MPFI intake and a 102mm LS throttle body on a 102mm to carb intake elbow. My goal is 500 hp and 500 tq on 93 pump gas with power peak under 6,000 rpm.

Tomcat58

Reaction score
I understand the cost, I’m in this purely for the sake of being able to say I can do it.
It really depends on your knowledge of all the steps in rebuilding a engine. I took a 2 year community college class in Auto Machine shop in my younger days in the 70's and worked in the trade for several years. Unless I am building a special engine I would not rebuild a engine these days. The cost along for the machine work is high and not knowing your skill level is taking chances on a failed rebuild. The small block chevy 350 is super common and there are good rebuild companies that you can get a short block from for under a $1,000. It really does not matter if you have the skills or not because I sure you don't own the machines to rebuild the heads and bore the block. So if your stuck on doing it yourself you better take some classes or have a competent mechanic right by your side. It would be a feat for a beginner to just assembly the short block into a long block and install it in the vehicle. Start there .. learn to walk before to take off running...