Where to attach tow rope?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by aball, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Maroon96

Maroon96 I'm Awesome

Oh. I guess I missed that part about not having a receiver.

2. aball

aball Newbie

Good point, in Germany it is allowed to tow a car a longer distance. Only exception is on the Autobahn, here you are only allowed to tow a car to the next exit. The second car does not even need working brakes as long as you use a tow bar. Even more astonishing: the driver of the second car does not need any driver license, he (or she) only needs to be at least 15 years old. :)

Sorry, but this is not true at least for my BMW 3 series: the threaded hole in front and back bumper is definitely meant for towing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. TrucksNCoffee

TrucksNCoffee Newbie

Do not forget that if the towed vehicle has an automatic transmission, the automobile owner's manual has specific information about how far and how fast the car may be towed in neutral with the engine not operating and the drive wheels in contact with the ground. If you exceed either the speed or the distance (or both), damage to the transmission will result.

This does not apply to manual transmissions in neutral.

RichLo likes this.
  4. aball

aball Newbie

Even if automatic transmissions are slowly catching up here in Germany, there are still more manual transmissions out there, especially for small cars.