where the #$%^&& is the *&^%$?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would someone be so kind as to tell me where the transfer case relay is located?
1990 k1500

yes, i searched.
yes the manual is wrong

thank you very much!

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you. the electrical manual references it. shows it located on the firewall by the fuel pump relay. the troubleshooting section references it. good ol GM electrical. lol

so the actuator is energized purely by the current flowing THROUGH the transfer switch and the 4wd indicator light is powered through the blue wire at the actuator? this truck has been changed to the linear type actuator, but appears rigged and the indicator doesnt work. both wires to/from the indicator go to ground!

is enough current going to the actuator that you would recommend using a relay?

thanks again for the quick response.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have a relay on the firewall left of center while standing in front of the truck.... mine's a 99, Though. I'm not sure what the relay does, but I do know if you bend the pins, your 4wd will not work :-/

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
thank you. the electrical manual references it. shows it located on the firewall by the fuel pump relay. the troubleshooting section references it. good ol GM electrical. lol

so the actuator is energized purely by the current flowing THROUGH the transfer switch and the 4wd indicator light is powered through the blue wire at the actuator? this truck has been changed to the linear type actuator, but appears rigged and the indicator doesnt work. both wires to/from the indicator go to ground!

is enough current going to the actuator that you would recommend using a relay?

thanks again for the quick response.

Let me run out and double check my'90, but I am positive that mine does not have a second relay on the fire wall. Be right back.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
I was correct only a fuel pump relay. The manual was probably in print at the same time as the production change to the front axle actuator upgrade.

The early trucks came with a thermal actuator that was prone to disengaging under cold weather conditions disabling the front axle. There was a TSB 88-T-87 that came out in March of 1988 to address this problem. It is possible that the engineers thought a relay would be required to operate the new actuator and then changed their minds and the manual was already in print.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
k. thanks. will try and find that tsb. maybe they showed an alternate wiring.
preciate the help!

You are welcome.
If you can find one some of the new style actuators come with a wiring harness and directions for the wiring modification. I will have a look and see if I still have any of the sheets tucked away.