Where is the timing bypass wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
89 4.3L 5-speed. Now that's out of the way, I thought I'd check the timing on this "no power at WOT" pos.

I've been reading up and everyone says the timing bypass wire is behind the glovebox. There's nothing behind the glovebox except a blower motor resistor.

The Emissions sticker on the fan shroud says that wire should be behind the Junction Block, which is on the other side of the firewall from the glovebox. There's nothing there in the way of a single tan wire with a black strip.

Then a youtube vide says that wire should be underneath the master cylinder, close to the electrical bulkhead, near the steering column. The only connector I have there is a two wire connector with a tan/white wire and black/white wire.

What am I missing?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nevermind, sorry, I found it. It was electrical taped WAY up behind another thick wiring harness, behind the junction block. RIDICULOUS. Like if I was looking back there, I'd have never found it.

I grow tired of electronically controlled vehicles......

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grow tired of electronically controlled vehicles......

LOL .... me too. Till I spend a day driving around a classic car with a carburetor and points (flat-spots, pumping the pedal, dirty exhaust, fussing with the points).

One thing I did was scarf a spare ignition module and put in the glovebox along with a long (cheap) screwdriver. Ive had them fail before ..not in my driveway. Although ever since I put the spare module in my glove box I've never had it fail. Buy a decent one from NAPA too.

Did you get the engine 'timed' ok?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah for the most part. See, the distributor for a 6 cylinder just isn't widely available, so I had to get the only one I could find at the time, which was chinese junk from Amazon. It's probably defective right out of the box. Meh.