Where can i find a new OEM quality 3rd brake light?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soflanick911

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive been looking for an elusive OEM style 3rd brake light. I seem to remember them being everywhere back in the day, now I can't seem to find one. Anyone know where i can find one? i am only seeing LED style ones.

thanks, Nick

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you pull a used one from a salvage yard keep in mind there are two different styles, one for regular/crew cabs and one for extended cabs. They look the same at a glance but don't interchange.

Soflanick911

Reaction score
mine is in good shape, just unfortunately the lenses are looking a little greenish. thank you guys, ill keep a look out for one a guess.

has anyone tried the ebay red one? for 18 bucks shipped i suppose its worth a shot...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
mine is in good shape, just unfortunately the lenses are looking a little greenish. thank you guys, ill keep a look out for one a guess.

has anyone tried the ebay red one? for 18 bucks shipped i suppose its worth a shot...

The issue with most of the cheap eBay ones is that they take some level of wiring modification to get them to function properly. Those Anzos that I linked in the other thread plug right in and work fine.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
x2 on what @df2x4 said, don't buy cheap eBay ones. Get a quality third brake light like Anzo or Spec-D Tuning, those two seem to be the only ones that work like factory, the rest are just junk that you have to modify to make them work correctly.

Edit: Scratch Spec-D Tuning off that list, I just received one for my 97 today and it was complete junk. They really went down the ******* in the last year or so. The foam was Styrofoam instead of a soft rubber foam. My dome lights wouldn't shut off until I unplugged it. Returning it, not wasting $30, going with a chrome Anzo unit.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks guys, do you all have any recommendations on how to clean a factory one?
Plastic polish and a cloth or sponge wheel on low-medium speed. Just remember they're real brittle by now especially around the screw holes; a little too rough with them particularly when re-installing the screws and the plastic will break out and no longer be any good. I suppose you could glue the pieces back together in a pinch.

Richard