When/why did buffing a car become "paint correction"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I laugh every time I read or hear paint correction. That is stupid. Is it a cuter name? More cooler?? Again, I laugh. I laughed today while buffing some scratches out of my neighbors car. I told him that if he calls it a paint correction, I was gonna burn through on every body line - then there will be a problem with the paint that actually needs correcting...

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I laugh every time I read or hear paint correction. That is stupid. Is it a cuter name? More cooler?? Again, I laugh. I laughed today while buffing some scratches out of my neighbors car. I told him that if he calls it a paint correction, I was gonna burn through on every body line - then there will be a problem with the paint that actually needs correcting...

LMAO!

It's just an attempt to charge rediculous $$ to polish up a car. What's hilarious most of these guys that push that terminology and the rediculously priced products don't know what color sanding and buffing even is.

I do paint and bodywork and no one in the biz even calls knocking out a few dust nibs out of a fresh paint job "paint correction"

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
When you painted lacquer, you had to buff every car because it was dull after being sprayed. I guess most just realized you could get a higher shine, remove runs, and get rid of all the orange peel. But, I have been around bodywork my whole life, never heard it called paint correction. lmao

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I had not heard this until now. I really want to punch the first person I hear call it that who means it.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
Get yourself a nice lab coat, fancy rubber gloves, an industrial looking form of eye protection, I might suggest the full face shield for effect, maybe even have led lights on there, RGB at that, then call it Paint Correction, making you a Correctoriologist, and now you can charge Lawyer type fees. Whatever you do, do not do anything by hand, always use some type of electrically powered device, the bigger the better. Come to think of it, don't just slobber out the compound from a squirt type bottle, get a measuring device of some sort, maybe even a giant syringe....ok, I'm going overboard a little.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Get yourself a nice lab coat, fancy rubber gloves, an industrial looking form of eye protection, I might suggest the full face shield for effect, maybe even have led lights on there, RGB at that, then call it Paint Correction, making you a Correctoriologist, and now you can charge Lawyer type fees. Whatever you do, do not do anything by hand, always use some type of electrically powered device, the bigger the better. Come to think of it, don't just slobber out the compound from a squirt type bottle, get a measuring device of some sort, maybe even a giant syringe....ok, I'm going overboard a little.

No more so than referring to buffing as paint correction.