When my GMT400 isn't enough...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was pretty shocked to see the '99 C2500 Suburban in Phoenix Craigslist (posted earlier in this thread) with 135k miles for $3700. I mean that seemed REALLY low priced. Then I just looked again and it's been lowered to $3200... seller must be motivated or there's an underlying problem somewhere. If I could find that in good condition in the Midwest (to inspect in person first) I'd buy it tomorrow.
I don't know the market there but around TX there's plenty of Suburbans and they are priced accordingly. Supply is high, demand is so-so; we drive LOTS of miles to get from place to place here and SUV's wax and wane in popularity due to MPG.

Now the relative rarity of a GMT400 2500 Suburban 7.4 will have a nice one priced higher than a 1500 with a 5.7, but still, they are not expensive vehicles to get into these days.

Richard

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah and mine wasn't expensive a few years ago either (under $5000) but it's also cost me about $1000/year in repairs/maintenance typical of a 20yo truck. I tend to buy stuff and keep it for a long time, so I want to research sufficiently and know what I'm getting before switching to a different vehicle.

I could start checking TX markets too, thanks for that tip. Seems like the used truck marketplace would be fairly plentiful. I could take a 2 hour morning flight to DFW and drive back home in a day if the right scenario came along.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what are the real world mpg numbers with a 6.0 towing a 7K lb travel trailer? I learned that they are no better than the 7.4 when you bump up the speed to 85-90 mph. That takes the rpm from about 1900 @ 70 up to about 2600 @ 90. I ran for about 35 miles at 90 the other day and did no better than 12 mpg. I'm going to guess that when towing a big load, it won't be any better than the 10-12 mpg I get with the 7.4. With the 7.4 I can tow 10K without batting an eye.

A few months ago I read a thread from a guy in southern Arizona that did a full rebuild on his 7.4 about the same time I did mine. He went with a bigger cam, some Ford injectors, and a few other minor upgrades and said he was towing his trailer around without any ******* down on the mountain slopes. I can't find that post again, anybody have any idea who that was?

To the OP. I think you are always ahead if you don't have to buy another vehicle, but in this case, I think the TBI is really limiting you. If it were me, and I chose to upgrade vehicles, I don't think I would just go a year or two newer for a Vortec. I don't feel like there would be significant enough gains to warrant the change. I would go as big as I could afford and find an 8.1 or a Duramax. If I weren't looking at the big 5th wheel that I am, I would be happy to go a bit slower down the road and stick with my 7.4 Suburban. Sightseeing is better at a little slower pace anyway!

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@90halfton do you mean late 6.5?
Lol.....no.... like duramax, 6.7 or 7.3 powerstroke, Cummins with a manual. I used to drive only chipped diesels for work trucks and the company I work for now only buys 6.0 hd chevys. Was like flying a rocket then switching to paper airplanes. 6.0s are rock solid work horses, but not even in the same class as a 1000lb torque diesel. For light duty gassers are the efficient choice unfortunately but for regularly towing 9000 lbs I wouldn't buy anything that took gas

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are the real world mpg numbers with a 6.0 towing a 7K lb travel trailer? I learned that they are no better than the 7.4 when you bump up the speed to 85-90 mph. That takes the rpm from about 1900 @ 70 up to about 2600 @ 90. I ran for about 35 miles at 90 the other day and did no better than 12 mpg. I'm going to guess that when towing a big load, it won't be any better than the 10-12 mpg I get with the 7.4. With the 7.4 I can tow 10K without batting an eye.

In our 2000 k2500 Suburban with the 6.0 4l80e combo 4.10s and 285’s loaded up with with 3 kids and a trailer close to 7k lbs we get between 8.5 and 13mpg depending on driving style and mountain passes vs flat rd.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In our 2000 k2500 Suburban with the 6.0 4l80e combo 4.10s and 285’s loaded up with with 3 kids and a trailer close to 7k lbs we get between 8.5 and 13mpg depending on driving style and mountain passes vs flat rd.
Ouch, worse than I expected. That certainly adds to the rethinking on getting a 6.0.