When my GMT400 isn't enough...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont be afraid to expand your search to 6.0. Unless you’re very brand loyal. Plenty of people buy them and bulletproof them. They are imo one of the best values in diesel trucks right now exactly for the reason you stated. Everyone is afraid of them. I can buy a loaded last year model 6.0 for as much or less than a comparable 7.3. As much if it’s bulletproofed. Less if it isn’t. Sometimes a lot less. Even if you gotta put 5k into bulletproofing...now you know it’s done and it’s to YOUR specifications not a yeah it’s bulletproofed but did the guy do the head studs or left in bolts? There are levels of bulletproof. I know 6.0s. You gotta stay on top of maintenance with filters. There is a ton of stuff and they got the issues figured out.
The 5r100 trans can take a ton of abuse and are pretty stout.
The reason I stick to Ford is simply due to the solid front axle.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ I'd agree with you but those bulletproofed 6.0 models seem pretty hard to find. For obvious reasons, it seems like most folks who invest the $5k-10k for that process plan on keeping them long term. My cousin has a bulletproofed 6.0 in his Excursion and loves it, currently has 240k miles (he bought at 198k) and no issues.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ I'd agree with you but those bulletproofed 6.0 models seem pretty hard to find. For obvious reasons, it seems like most folks who invest the $5k-10k for that process plan on keeping them long term. My cousin has a bulletproofed 6.0 in his Excursion and loves it, currently has 240k miles (he bought at 198k) and no issues.

They’re out there. Just gotta search. If I found a 6.0 that was in clean shape but needed bulletproofing I would pound the hell out of that point in negotiating. Especially if the truck has been sitting unsold for a long time. The seller knows the issues it has and why it’s not selling.I’ve seen 2007/2008 crew cab 6.0s in my area in some cases for 7/8k and as high as 10/12k. You can still work the price easily 2k if it’s not proofed.
if you're not in a hurry I would just keep,shopping.