Wheels stick out to far for PA.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds to me like he was looking for a reason to pull you over, most every vehicle (even brand new ones) has something on it that is technically outside the law, and that's enough to get you stopped As others have said, there are some things that need to be addressed on the truck, so handle that. Research the vehicle code so you know what you're allowed to do and what you're not. Then, when you get pulled over again, be polite and make sure everything is up to scratch in terms of paperwork etc. so that it cannot be impounded. Take the ticket and as suggested fight it in court. No reason to be a d!ck to him, but also no reason to accept what he says as gospel.
Also, you now know this cop has professional interest in your truck, act accordingly.
Spoken like a pro right on!!

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Help please . Can you get 35/12.5r15 tires on a 97 Silverado 1500 4x4 without them sticking out past fender flares .
Idk about 15s but 35x12.50r20 on GMC Denali factory 20s don't stick out any, maybe get sum fender flares? I'm not sure if that'll appease them there but works for Wisconsin , which is about 10 miles from me and lots my friends got grief for tires sticking out and fender flares fixed thier issue.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try to find out what the code says as “too far” is pretty subjective. Did they give you a ticket that cites the code?

I’d agree that they were looking for another offense.

Those front tires don’t look long for this world, by the way.
Most states have so many codes you can just assume anything that personalizes your vehicle in any way will violate one somehow. I know WA has bumper height and width laws, as well as laws that limit how many vertical inches of tire can be visible under your bumper and how far out they can stick past the body, BUT that automatically doesn't apply somehow to brand new Jeep Gladiators leaving the lot with 35" tires that stick out at least as far as the OP.

To put it straight, if you were driving a 2020 Chevy 1500 with the exact same wheel/tire setup they wouldn't have looked twice.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it doesnt help that our front fenders taper inwards towards the front of the vehicle, makes stock tires look like they stick out of the wheel wells. I had a similar discussion once when getting mine inspected, then went to the mechanics pov and showed him the same tire protuberance. PA has so many bogus laws on the books that you can just about bet you’re running a foul of one of em. For instance, wheel spacers are illegal in PA, and excessive bumper height is the trouble you get cited for on a lifted vehicle. BTW, trucks over 80 inches wide are required to have clearance lights as well.

So, if you have a fix-it ticket, you can put on stock rims and tires (that still may not be compliant, but it is oem so should pass the court’s reinspection) If no ticket, do what you want. That amount of offset is sure to wear out your front end components faster though.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
That's an awesome looking truck Badco!

it is my personal opinion that if the OP fixed his truck without the spacers and and the correct rims his truck would look awesome too. but theres more to a truck than looks it needs to be safe and it needs to function as well.

do you like doing body work while rocks ding up the side of your truck or how about throwing rocks at other vehicles driving by or maybe a rock hits a bystander? like a kid and kills them? Tires need to he fully covered with a fender in order to be safe and contain the road debris that they might throw up. But you know no body gives a **** about being safe or legal.

to each their own but I think having wheels sticking out like this is reckless. I'm not sure how the hotrodders without bodys on the front ends get away with it.

Al

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's an awesome looking truck Badco!

it is my personal opinion that if the OP fixed his truck without the spacers and and the correct rims his truck would look awesome too. but theres more to a truck than looks it needs to be safe and it needs to function as well.

do you like doing body work while rocks ding up the side of your truck or how about throwing rocks at other vehicles driving by or maybe a rock hits a bystander? like a kid and kills them? Tires need to he fully covered with a fender in order to be safe and contain the road debris that they might throw up. But you know no body gives a **** about being safe or legal.

to each their own but I think having wheels sticking out like this is reckless. I'm not sure how the hotrodders without bodys on the front ends get away with it.

Al
I'd agree if big trucks were at all held to the same standard, or cars, seems that Light Trucks are the only ones to get targeted for the wheel/tire sticking out too far, but a ton of ricers (crazy camber-more unsafe than tire sticking out imo) and hotrodders do it too. Bigrigs can have like 36" of straight tire uncovered, unflapped, and they throw rocks left and right, but rarely get enforced on as long as the company is paying out for windshields etc. Those lifted diesels with 26x14 wheels where the entire thing sticks out from under are ridiculous(ly illegal) though lmfao.

I think there's (or should be) a gray area of an inch or so, unless you actually have a fully exposed tread block you likely aren't throwing large rocks. A lot of new trucks already have offset that sticks their tires out, run down to your local Jeep dealer and check out the new gladiator's insane wheel/tire options, and you can't even add a fender flare because of how the fenders are.

I know in Germany they will literally stick a straightedge across your wheel to your fender and it they stick out even a mm its a fail though, makes a sense if you consider any car can go whatever speed they want on certain roads there though.

I agree with you that OP should get his front end fixed, and get wheels with a more reasonable offset to fix his issue.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 35x12.5 17s with no lift and have wheeled it hard also pulled 8,-10k loads on trailer
You must be registered for see images attach
No lift at all? I have a 3" BL and rolled some 35's up to the wheel wells just to check (see how they looked compared to my 33s), and there was no damn way they'd fit, what'd you have to do to get those to fit so nice on there?

Is that a 1500?

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No lift at all? I have a 3" BL and rolled some 35's up to the wheel wells just to check (see how they looked compared to my 33s), and there was no damn way they'd fit, what'd you have to do to get those to fit so nice on there?

Is that a 1500?

Theyll fit, factory wheels or narrow wheel with factory backspacing. Mine with 35x12.50 that actually measure 13 wide.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theyll fit, factory wheels or narrow wheel with factory backspacing. Mine with 35x12.50 that actually measure 13 wide.
Even from this pic I can tell they're the Nitto Mud Grapplers, thats exactly the tire I was going for, the Mud Grappler in a 35/12.5 but my factory wheels are history well before I got the truck, so I guess she'll need a lift for bigger tires on my 18s.

Beautiful truck btw, just the right amount of dirt spray.