Wheels for a 4/6 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Usually' 1 coil = 2", but there's members here that have used that formula & attained more drop. Some are O.K. with that, others not so much.
Could be due to the different springs used by GM depending on the engine size & with or without A/C.
I would think that a V6 spring with 1 coil cut would yield a lower drop when installed under an SBC truck. Even more with a BBC. But I can't see anyone putting a V6 spring under a BBC truck.

I'd go 3/4's of a coil first and see how that works out. You can always cut more. Pretty hard to add-to if you cut a full coil & it turns out to be too much for your liking. Bit more work, but better safe than sorry.

Makes me wonder if cut BBC springs in my SBC truck would give a firmer ride. Hmmmm, might know a boneyard with a set.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There is a member that has done that. Uses his truck for Auto-Cross.
Just can't remember which thread that that was covered in. Damn memory!

Moosews6

Reaction score
Depends on which spindles. DJM or BellTech & the derivatives, along with the wheel's offsets & how low the drop is.

the plan is to use the entire streetgrip setup from ridetech. We got SS454 wheels with the truck.

not sure if that helps.

We are trying to do paint and suspension before we buy wheels and tires.. (father son project)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No experience with the RideTech. Looks like nice stuff though.
Just by checking out their website, they're using a more recent updated design. Tubular upper & lower control arms. Big sway bars & coil-over shocks.
If you're using the whole front end kit, I can't see why they would use old tech ideas. Pushing the wheels out was done in order to clear the stock LCA's. B/T designed their spindles w-a-a-a-y back, 30+ years ago, when a 17" wheels was considered big.
A 255/60 will be a good size for the truck, but as far as having to roll the lips or not?
I did notice that they have a forum attached to their website. The question may have been already answered in there.

https://www.ridetech.com/forum/

...and yet, check the 'Forums we visit' column. They don't come here? WTF? Lol!

Last edited:

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ridetech was in here 6+ months ago swinging their 4/6 drop.

I have 255/60/15 on the front with Belltech spindles and I had to roll the lip. My fronts are 15x7 but I don't know the backspacing unless I take the wheel off and measure it. No issues with my LCA's either, but tire is very close to sway bar.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the plan is to use the entire streetgrip setup from ridetech. We got SS454 wheels with the truck.

not sure if that helps.

We are trying to do paint and suspension before we buy wheels and tires.. (father son project)
If you haven't bought the street grip setup, you might consider their tubular arms and the rear wishbone kit.