Wheels for a 4/6 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh W

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use the drop control arm kits for your 4" front drop? DJM says that this method eliminates wheel clearance issues because you keep the stock spindles, but I haven't seen anybody use them so far. Does it actually help with lock to lock clearance, or will I still hit the stock rims on the control arms?

gagliano7

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use the drop control arm kits for your 4" front drop? DJM says that this method eliminates wheel clearance issues because you keep the stock spindles, but I haven't seen anybody use them so far. Does it actually help with lock to lock clearance, or will I still hit the stock rims on the control arms?
I talked to DJM and it eliminates the wheel clearance problem because you are still using the stock spindle. When you use the drop spindle the lower control arm sits lower and can hit your wheels. Mine hit just the inside lip on rim on full turns. I wanted to use there lower control arms with my 2 in drop spindles and use stock springs but the said you can't use there lower arm with drop spindles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to use there lower control arms with my 2 in drop spindles and use stock springs but the said you can't use there lower arm with drop spindles.
People do it and say "I haven't had any problems" but that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. :D It puts the scrub line of the lower control arm dangerously close to the street. In some places that care (and look) you will fail a safety inspection for it.

Richard

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
275/60 on a 4/6. Rolled fender lips.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old thread, but that's what the search function is for lol. So you ran 4/6 with SS wheels and 275/60s all around? Did you have to roll front and rear lips or only fronts? A arm or spindle drop for front? Seriously thinking of 3/6 or 4/7 drop and I have a set of cherry SS wheels with centers. Do you think I could pull off 4/7 with this set up?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Old thread, but that's what the search function is for lol. So you ran 4/6 with SS wheels and 275/60s all around? Did you have to roll front and rear lips or only fronts? A arm or spindle drop for front? Seriously thinking of 3/6 or 4/7 drop and I have a set of cherry SS wheels with centers. Do you think I could pull off 4/7 with this set up?

Just the fronts were rolled. The rears didn't need to be rolled till I installed 295/40-20's on the back.
Originally dropped spindles & springs. Those springs were too soft.
Kept the spindles & went to a stock spring with a coil cut. Cutting increases the spring rate.
Thinking about pulling those springs & going to a light 3/4 ton spring with about 1.75 coils cut. That's probably too stiff of a ride for most people.

275/60-15's on the sport wheels should be no prob. If the lips do need to be rolled, only about 8"-10" either side of the axle center line need to be done.
Hammer & dolly and 1/2 an hour per side.

LD68

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the fronts were rolled. The rears didn't need to be rolled till I installed 295/40-20's on the back.
Originally dropped spindles & springs. Those springs were too soft.
Kept the spindles & went to a stock spring with a coil cut. Cutting increases the spring rate.
Thinking about pulling those springs & going to a light 3/4 ton spring with about 1.75 coils cut. That's probably too stiff of a ride for most people.

275/60-15's on the sport wheels should be no prob. If the lips do need to be rolled, only about 8"-10" either side of the axle center line need to be done.
Hammer & dolly and 1/2 an hour per side.

I am thinking about cutting my stock springs as I too like a firmer suspension. We used to cold cut springs to "tweak the ride height" years ago with good results. On the 1/2 ton spring, will it yield about 2" drop per coil?
Edit to add, I intend to use a drop spindle with the cut stock spring.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
'Usually' 1 coil = 2", but there's members here that have used that formula & attained more drop. Some are O.K. with that, others not so much.
Could be due to the different springs used by GM depending on the engine size & with or without A/C.
I would think that a V6 spring with 1 coil cut would yield a lower drop when installed under an SBC truck. Even more with a BBC. But I can't see anyone putting a V6 spring under a BBC truck.

I'd go 3/4's of a coil first and see how that works out. You can always cut more. Pretty hard to add-to if you cut a full coil & it turns out to be too much for your liking. Bit more work, but better safe than sorry.