Wheel hop hop hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im running into some mean wheel hop on my 5/6 lowered 97, I don’t notice it in daily driving but I plan on running the truck at the strip someday and when I launch hard I get some wheel hop. It’s not horrible but it’s enough that I get out of it because I don’t want to break anything, I’m looking at putting a lock right in the rear end and I know that’s not going to help matters. I have also been looking into caltracs but I have a couple questions.

Are they streetable?

Are caltracs best suited for straight line traction only or will these be useful if I ever autocross the truck?

Am I even barking up the right tree here or is there a better option out there?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have looked at the same thing. Check out the powertrax no slip. It is more streetable, or so they clam. Keep in mind that as you turn, under hard acceleration, the locker will keep both wheels locked, causing you to drag the outer wheel around corners. Of course, this would be under hard acceleration, and not slower ,(normal ) driving. Any traction bars will help wheel hop. IDK what one is better than the other. Being a welder, I figure I will just build my own, I am just to lazy to do it I guess Ha Ha. One day I will. Keep this in mind, the reason for a traction bar, is to take out the flex in the leaf spring that happens during hard acceleration. As the tire bites, It twist the diff, and the spring flexes up word. Traction bars, eliminate the springs ability to arc in the center between the diff, and where the spring is bolted to the frame.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Please post if you do any of these mods. I would like to know how it plays out for you. I have added about #200 around my receiver hitch for traction. It does help some. If you look close, or zoom in on the pic, you can see one of the steel bars I added under the receiver. There are 2 solid steel bars. The other one is on the inside of the receiver, next to the spare tire.

Last edited:

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the power Trax no slip. Have about 50 miles on it. I like it. Takes a bit to get used too. Works well though. I'll put another 50 on it before I start doing hard launches.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the power Trax no slip. Have about 50 miles on it. I like it. Takes a bit to get used too. Works well though. I'll put another 50 on it before I start doing hard launches.

Yea, keep us posted. I would like to know how well it does. I really want one, but $450 is a lot, so I want to make sure its worth the money.

Rock Hard Concrete

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the no slip in my truck a year ago. Ive put a few thousand miles on it. Works better than advertised, and only takes a little getting used to. Turns a usless-in-the-snow open diff 2wd into a controllable drift machine that has no problem getting around. They can also take a beating as they are rated at 10000 lb-ft of torque. Imo, well worth the cost.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed the no slip in my truck a year ago. Ive put a few thousand miles on it. Works better than advertised, and only takes a little getting used to. Turns a usless-in-the-snow open diff 2wd into a controllable drift machine that has no problem getting around. They can also take a beating as they are rated at 10000 lb-ft of torque. Imo, well worth the cost.
Thanks for the info. It never snow here, but it rains a lot. Also I am tired of the one wheel peel.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I didnt have the powertrax brand but I had a Detroit drop-in lunchbox locker similar to that powertrax on my old Blazer and it was great in the summer and once the fluid warmed up in the winter it was a fun .... However the first 15 miles in sub 0 temps it was TERRIBLE!!! It would disengage BOTH sides and just spin. I had to stop, put it in reverse, Drive, reverse, drive and sometimes repeat more to get it to lock then I could get going..... NOT fun when driving in morning traffic!!