Wheel cross reference question

best way to go 16" on a 1500 series Suburban

• 6 bolt swap

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • find 5x5 16" wheels

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrAdam

Reaction score
I am not sure this is the right sub forum but i didn't see anywhere else it fit, let me know if there is a better section to ask in.

I have a 1500 series 97' Suburban that I tow a 24' camper with. When I bought it last September it had passenger tires on it which are still on it; not bad pulling at 55mph but pretty sketchy at 75. I am looking at a set of 15" 10 ply tires but would really like to step up to a 16" rims. Not looking to spend a lot so I am trying to figure out if any OEM wheels will cross over; I have read that there was a 5x5 16" option that came on some Vans in that era but they are hard to find. I am also having a hard time getting a straight answer on the offset; I find either 0 or +13 listed.

I am also considering do an entire 6 bolt swap if I can find a lite duty c2500 donor truck with good tires for a decent price. Ideally I want to do this swap for less than I can buy a set of 10 ply 15" tires for, upgrading the rims on 5x5 would be the easiest of course but only if i can find the wheels; I see jeep wheels all over the place! I am sure others have ventured down this path and I am interested to hear how they did it.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running oem 17 inch wheels off a 1500 pickup on my 99 burb. They came off a work truck with a flat bed. I tow a car trailer regular with mine. Most any chevy wheels will work if they are 6lug. That's what I was told.

MrAdam

Reaction score
I am currently 5 bolt, I either need 5 bolt 16s or do a 6bolt conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevyjunkie95

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of jeep wheels. 17”
5x5.

True the 15” tires cost as much but the options in a truck tire are getting slim and no one has any in stock. That’s why I’m changing my wheels.
That and I got a lucky deal on brand new take offs.

MrAdam

Reaction score
I went with new Mastercraft 15s and settled for a C rated tire; it's far better than the P series tires it had, haven't towed with them yet but I anticipate an improvement. I am going to keep looking for a deal on 16 inch rims for the next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk