Wheel Bearing Dust Cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Can someone shoot me a link to a vehicle specific wheel bearing dust cap for my 1991 C1500? I lost mine on the highway this weekend and caused my wheel bearing to burn up. Can't seem to find them on any auto parts websites.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happened the other way around. Your bearings were bad, and when they got enough slop in them, the spindle nut knocked the cap off.

In other words, with good bearings, you can actually run for a very long time without the dust cap. The crud getting in there will destroy the bearings but it takes a while.

Dorman doesn't make a direct replacement but you can try Dorman 618-102, it's the one with the small domed top. You will likely need to use a punch to dimple the edge of it in several spots to make it stay on. On the upside, I've used this cap to clear "problem" custom wheels that have a center cap that doesn't have enough clearance otherwise.

Or hit the boneyard and hope for the best. Being you're in DFW area you should be able to find plenty though there's not near the amount around ever since Cash for Clunkers. :mad:

Richard

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add for future help. These trucks with 2wd have the older style tapered roller bearings and require occasional service or the will end up failing. Instead of sealed hubs that you run to the death and replace. About every 20 thousand miles if repacked and adjusted they last a long time. Lots on you tube about servicing trailer bearings they are the same procedure.

Mdare35

Reaction score
Last edited:

Mdare35

Reaction score
Cut and paste of post to similar thread of trying to find dust cover incase someone looks here first.

Well I saw a guy on youtube fixing a 1994 chevy 2wd c1500 pick up and he used a Dorman 13977. So I took a chance and thought it would work on my 1997 Chevy 2wd c1500 pickup.

I fit very nicely. Maybe could use a bit of enlarging to make it fit tighter, but actually felt ok to me. And I put the bolt cover back on assuming it will keep it on or at least in the wheel till I can check it again in a day of so. Not quite as roomie and the more square stock cap, but seemed to have clearance over the castle nut too. Woo Hoo! That cap is listed as fitting a lot of yeas of gm products so I don't know why Dorman doesn't seem to know it will fit these. These stiil a lot on the road. Obviously mine is 24 years old this year and has 275K miles and still runs pretty good with few issues, most recent was a fuel pump a few months back that I was pissed I didn't replace when I had bed off to fix brake line leak!@#$%@#!. And this lost dust cover happened after replacing warped rotors that were less than 2 years old and driving with nut covers off!@$@%#^!
You must be registered for see images attach