Whats the value of a z71 gmt 400 step side bed? plastic liner too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't mean to come off like a jerk, just passing on information that myself didn't learn until a few months ago, and I've owned my stepy since 1995. I wish they were fiberglass!!!! A lot more straightforward to repair, I have a nasty rock chip in my fender.
But as for the OP.....it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. List it for what you want, and if no one bites, start lowering it.
Not at all; no worries.

Must be why every GMT400 dually flare I've seen repair attempts on are really bad-looking fiberglass patches. :D I don't work with fiberglass, SMC, plastic, whatever any of that mess is. I personally wouldn't want to buy one if it was busted up.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all; no worries.

Must be why every GMT400 dually flare I've seen repair attempts on are really bad-looking fiberglass patches. :D I don't work with fiberglass, SMC, plastic, whatever any of that mess is. I personally wouldn't want to buy one if it was busted up.

Richard
In my experience if all the parts are there they can be repaired decently, but if there are bits missing it's easier to buy replacements.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the step side flares the same as the dually flares?
No. The stepside “flares” are actually the whole bedside. It’s one big piece that is replaceable. The dually fenders for those years are bolt on what basically is a enormously oversized wheel flare on a fleet side bed. They usually cut the wheel well sheet metal out on the fleet side bed to accommodate the wider set of dually tires. The flares themselves are made from the same SMC material and bolted on with bolts Rob it’s and brackets.

I prefer fleet side beds over step sides. I like stepsides but they are way too small. They also have that unfinished look at the end of cab start of bed area. Over the years they try to do some sort of body line flow but it just looks like a afterthought.

As far as worth in my area anywhere from 300 to 800 bucks depending on condition and what is missing broken or needs repair.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. The stepside “flares” are actually the whole bedside. It’s one big piece that is replaceable. The dually fenders for those years are bolt on what basically is a enormously oversized wheel flare on a fleet side bed. They usually cut the wheel well sheet metal out on the fleet side bed to accommodate the wider set of dually tires. The flares themselves are made from the same SMC material and bolted on with bolts Rob it’s and brackets.

I prefer fleet side beds over step sides. I like stepsides but they are way too small. They also have that unfinished look at the end of cab start of bed area. Over the years they try to do some sort of body line flow but it just looks like a afterthought.

As far as worth in my area anywhere from 300 to 800 bucks depending on condition and what is missing broken or needs repair.
I'm familiar with the dually flares and beds, but I've never owned a step side, mostly because of the reasons you mentioned.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being from Wis, I bet the bed crossrails are bad as well as the steel brackets and supports for the steps. The rear floor also rusts from the bottom due to trash getting trapped above the rear brace.
The stepsides never look rusty because of the SMC sides, only the top rail is steel that shows.
I just rebuilt one that lived in Eau Claire and Ashland it's whole life.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whoever put it on that squarebody should be slapped.....
Its just setting there on the frame, its not actually on it on it. Also, my gpa very much Intended to put it on it. I would slap him but hes got 6 feet of fortifications atm. Lol

Didn't mean to come off like a jerk, just passing on information that myself didn't learn until a few months ago, and I've owned my stepy since 1995. I wish they were fiberglass!!!! A lot more straightforward to repair, I have a nasty rock chip in my fender.
But as for the OP.....it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. List it for what you want, and if no one bites, start lowering it.
The pricing from the some guy above is kinda what I figured and I may just do that. The body of it, whatever the material is technically, is in very good shape. The worst part is underneath the metal is surface rusty on the bed but that would get easily POR15ed or equivalent fix and its not structural.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being from Wis, I bet the bed crossrails are bad as well as the steel brackets and supports for the steps. The rear floor also rusts from the bottom due to trash getting trapped above the rear brace.
The stepsides never look rusty because of the SMC sides, only the top rail is steel that shows.
I just rebuilt one that lived in Eau Claire and Ashland it's whole life.
Where you at in wi? I am north of eau claire a bit but I just associate with eau claire since its the only area people will remotely know lol

Its fortunately not severe its definitely a "fix this before mounting or youre a dumbass" because it would be short lived otherwise. But I have the bumper too in good shape, I forgot to mention that.