What's the difference-radiators.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen so far the problem is the fittings on the oil filter adapter. I gotta think how to approach the subject

In the video, I liked where he mentioned how to "eliminate it altogether" by, e.g., replacing the oil filter adapter.

I see the benefit of an oil cooler if one's putting heat in the oil, e.g., by spinning the engine at 3500RPM for long periods of time.

Otherwise, I would be inclined to eliminate it b/c it's a risk with no or little upside benefit.

@Dariusz Salomon, I'm sure I'm not saying anything you haven't already considered for your '99 Tahoe Z71 5.7 Vortec.

FYI, My '98 Suburban 5.7 is original w/o an engine oil cooler.

Notes on replacing the oil filter adapter:

(this was the method of eliminating the lines as mentioned in the video, IIRC)

Removing the original adapter isn't too hard. The situation turns uglier when trying to remove the remains of the gasket that's between the block and the original adapter (assuming one wants to replace it); it's recessed up in a cavity where "creative methods and tools" may be required for removal. It's not something one can scrape off with a putty knife.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just chiming in. My suburban from the factory came with the internal oil cooler on the radiator. We never had issues with this and those fittings had well over 425kmiles on the fittings and lines. Sure the radiator was replaced numerous times but point is my lines are still orginal after 481kmiles. Now when I did my engines swap to the 383. I replaced the actual line adapters with genuine gm and the radiator was replaced 1 year before the motor swap. 2 things to do if you have the factory cooler. 1 replace with genuine gm parts. 2 make sure you have the lines strapped/secured so the vibrations dont cause leaks on the o rings. Final I think it has to do with location. Mine is native from Houston. C 1500 suburban. I feel like if your somewhere where corrosion is normal. Then maybe you can have issues with the oil cooler. Otherwise if you never had issues prior to the leak then I dont see a reason to delete it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suburban from the factory came with the internal oil cooler on the radiator. We never had issues with this and those fittings had well over 425kmiles on the fittings and lines.

What's interesting is the comparison between the GMT400s and the S10 platforms from the same production era.

On the S10 platforms the oil cooler lines were notorious for leakage and one didn't have to look far to find someone who suffered a catastrophic failure. I'm surprised the oil lines have been relatively trouble-free on the GMT400s.

The S10 lines, in 1995 at least, had threaded fittings on the oil filter adapter, hardline along the engine, a short length of hose (to provide flexibility), and then hardline to the radiator cooler's threaded fittings. I'm not aware whether quick-connect fittings were ever used in other years.

The lines would leak at the short length of hose AFAIK. There weren't notable problems at the radiator or filter adapter, or with the hardlines.

A friend had his oil lines fail catastrophically on his new 1995 S10 ECSB 4.3L TBI at about 30kmi. The engine was ruined and replaced under warranty, and new lines were installed. I later bought this truck and replaced the lines after they showed minor leakage, thus installing the third set. I later sold this truck.

On my 1995 S10 RCLB 4.3L TBI I replaced the lines once with factory parts after noting minor leakage. I later removed the cooler lines when I swapped the 4.3L TBI for an L31. I still own this truck.

On my S10 Blazer 4.3L CPFI I replaced the lines twice after noting minor leakage, once at ~63kmi and again sometime later. I recently sold this truck.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
On the S10 platforms the oil cooler lines were notorious for leakage and one didn't have to look far to find someone who suffered a catastrophic failure. I'm surprised the oil lines have been relatively trouble-free on the GMT400s.

They're notorious for leaking on the 400s too although usually its limited to making a big mess, not catastrophic failure. That's why everyone wants to use AN fittings with braided lines or eliminate it all together. I did the later.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's interesting is the comparison between the GMT400s and the S10 platforms from the same production era.

The S10 lines, in 1995 at least, had threaded fittings on the oil filter adapter, hardline along the engine, a short length of hose (to provide flexibility), and then hardline to the radiator cooler's threaded fittings. I'm not aware whether quick-connect fittings were ever used in other years.

The lines would leak at the short length of hose AFAIK. There weren't notable problems at the radiator or filter adapter, or with the hardlines.

A friend had his oil lines fail catastrophically on his new 1995 S10 ECSB 4.3L TBI at about 30kmi. The engine was ruined and replaced under warranty, and new lines were installed. I later bought this truck and replaced the lines after they showed minor leakage, thus installing the third set. I later sold this truck.

On my 1995 S10 RCLB 4.3L TBI I replaced the lines once with factory parts after noting minor leakage. I later removed the cooler lines when I swapped the 4.3L TBI for an L31. I still own this truck.

On my S10 Blazer 4.3L CPFI I replaced the lines twice after noting minor leakage, once at ~63kmi and again sometime later. I recently sold this truck.
Like 454 said. I've heard there fair issues of the 400 as well. The one I've heard cause catastrophic failure is the transcooler in the radiator mixing with coolant as it leaked internally failing the transmission due to contamination. But as far as oil coolers mostly leaks, nothing to terribly crazy imo. Considering these engines are known for rear main seals leaking and timing chain or front of the pan seal leaks lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Like 454 said. I've heard there fair issues of the 400 as well. The one I've heard cause catastrophic failure is the transcooler in the radiator mixing with coolant as it leaked internally failing the transmission due to contamination. But as far as oil coolers mostly leaks, nothing to terribly crazy imo. Considering these engines are known for rear main seals leaking and timing chain or front of the pan seal leaks lol.
Yep those trans coolers (really fluid warmers for the colder regions)are bad about going bad in aluminum radiators. That's why that King Ranch pickup is going to Lufkin on a trailer instead of driving ( when the new owner finishes paying me for it!). That cooler got rotten when the truck sat for a few years, not getting driven much, before my boss brought it up to me from his parents' place. Then we started DD' ing it and in a week or so, trans fluid began to disappear.....

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna return to transmission cooler lines for a minute-gm original lines are readily available-Ac Delco original ones.
Now looking at them they seem to be really funny shaped-bring the memory of those pesky rear AC lines.
I tried to find any video showing how to replace them and...nothing. Not one on our trucks. There's a ton on oil cooler lines,filter adapter and what not but NONE on these.
So my question is out of curiosity but also if anything goes wrong while replacing radiator-has anyone actually replaced those like for like? If so-was it a pain-or was it ok?

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-02-23-20-14-20.png
    Capture+_2022-02-23-20-14-20.png
    679.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture+_2022-02-23-20-13-13.png
    Capture+_2022-02-23-20-13-13.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: