What's the difference-radiators.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all-I'm looking for a radiator and in rock auto I've come across ac delco o es-one says "with ac control c60" and one says without. I see on pics that the obe without hasn't got the additional inlet under the one that sits under the cap. But I have front/back ac with additional controls and I don't have the above described inlet/outlet thingy. So what would be the difference between radiator for just front ac and the front/back one? Is it suppose to be thicker(core)- my dimensions are 34 inch core,17+ high with four ports for trans/eng cooling-2 on each side. I found nice all aluminium 3 way radiator which I'm thinking of buying in the same dimensions 2 1/2 thick core-will it do? 99 taho z71 5.7 vortec
Pic shows description in question which is confysing a bit to me.

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-02-20-15-59-53.png
    Capture+_2022-02-20-15-59-53.png
    593 KB · Views: 24

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've not seen that before, but c60 is an RPO code for the manual controlled air conditioning. C61 is the automatic controlled version. I have no idea what difference that would have on the radiator. I didn't know auto vs. manual existed on a GMT-400

Check the SPID sticker on your glovebox door to see what your truck has.

I'm not sure I'd go with a Genuine GM radiator for our trucks. The originals would have been made at the Lockport NY plant, but I think the new ones are coming out of Mexico, and maybe not even from a GM plant. I've been happy with my TYC.... it's made in China, but I was impressed with the quality and the packaging. It's also newer tech.... 2 wider rows of tubes instead of the 3 narrower ones. The newest version of my part number is a single row, of what must be extremely wide tubes.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guessing: C61 on the Caddy

C69 is overhead AC controls isn’t it? Is that synonymous with “rear HVAC”?

So the OP’s radiator options appear to be “w/ or w/o AC” aka RPO C60. Bigger radiator w/ AC would seem to be the difference, but just a hunch.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've not seen that before, but c60 is an RPO code for the manual controlled air conditioning. C61 is the automatic controlled version. I have no idea what difference that would have on the radiator. I didn't know auto vs. manual existed on a GMT-400

Check the SPID sticker on your glovebox door to see what your truck has.

I'm not sure I'd go with a Genuine GM radiator for our trucks. The originals would have been made at the Lockport NY plant, but I think the new ones are coming out of Mexico, and maybe not even from a GM plant. I've been happy with my TYC.... it's made in China, but I was impressed with the quality and the packaging. It's also newer tech.... 2 wider rows of tubes instead of the 3 narrower ones. The newest version of my part number is a single row, of what must be extremely wide tubes.
Yeah-that's what's confusing. I mean I do have ac with c60 and according to this video there used to be a difference in radiators for trucks with and without it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
But like I said earlier-my radiator seem pretty standard-it's bigger 34" one with tranny 4l60 cooling and engine oil cooling, as it runs 4 ports-no additional return (which was what I learned used on 3500 series)tho it seem to be installed in all newer radiators as standard.
My sticker below.
I'm not gonna go with ac delco-I posted this picture just to show what got me thinking about the whole subject-all alu is the way I will probably go with-tho will take a look at this TYC one-do you have part number anywhere by any chance so I can have a look?

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_124027.jpg
    IMG_20190615_124027.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 4

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wider tubes? Did you measure them? The used tahoe i bought pulled the panel off to back blow the radiator fins. Single row. But the tank width could accommodate 4 row. So ordered a spectra premium same as one in the K2500 with tow package. 4 row for adequate cooling in 100° plus summer days. End of day commute home. Creeping over Altamonte 10-20 mph. Music and AC full blast no cooling problems. Good luck.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guessing: C61 on the Caddy

C69 is overhead AC controls isn’t it? Is that synonymous with “rear HVAC”?

So the OP’s radiator options appear to be “w/ or w/o AC” aka RPO C60. Bigger radiator w/ AC would seem to be the difference, but just a hunch.
Yeah I have c69 too-I know the suze of the rad I need-what ports it should gave etc. It's just when I was looking at various radiators to buy some seem thinner-some thicker (core)and I thought that may make a difference-tho it may be related to the number of rows. If it was direct swap-plastic to plastic one then there seem to be no trouble with finding like for like. But with all alu since they're aftermarket designs it's not as clear-the give dimensions and all ,but nowhere I found similar info like on those ac delco ones I posted-separating ac/non ac or rear end requirement(I assume that matters when cruising-3.08 will rev lower at 70mph than 3.73 or 4.56).

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The core depth relates to how many tube rows it has. You tow, carry alot weight, live in hot zone more rows. Ordering your truck with 4.56 rear, it may add a larger radiator as the factory presumes your working it harder.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wider tubes? Did you measure them? The used tahoe i bought pulled the panel off to back blow the radiator fins. Single row. But the tank width could accommodate 4 row. So ordered a spectra premium same as one in the K2500 with tow package. 4 row for adequate cooling in 100° plus summer days. End of day commute home. Creeping over Altamonte 10-20 mph. Music and AC full blast no cooling problems. Good luck.

I've never seen an aluminum/plastic 4 row. I assumed manufactures went to 3 with the switch to aluminum. My 2 row is every bit as thick as my orginal 3-row. I don't think it's merely more space in between the rows. The current single row is also as thick as stock.... or nearly so, I haven't compared specs directly, but they look the same. There are thin single row radiators, but they're for smaller enignes and/or without towing packages or "heavy duty" packages of any sort. I have a 454 in a 1-ton so tiny/thin radiators aren't even listed for my application.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...will take a look at this TYC one-do you have part number anywhere by any chance so I can have a look?

It's a 1696, but you'll want to look up the part number for your truck. I've got a late 454, which uses a taller radiator, that uses a taller upper shroud and taller brackets.

The current specs listed say it's a 1-row, but mine was purchased several years ago and is two.

The only thing I don't like about it, and I forgot until now, is that the filler neck is a little higher than factory and rubs the hood insulation. There is also a "tall filler neck" version, but that's for the 3500HD, and I wouln't be able to shut the hood if I had gotten that by accident.