What's the best way to lift the front of my 1997 GMC 1500 in the front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandlapper

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC 1500 that I use to pick up and haul scrap metal home and take it off when it is ready. I want to beef it up so I can haul more weight in it so it doesn't sag so bad. I already have a pair of 2500 leaf springs with the shackles ready to bolt up in the rear. Will I have to use different shocks when I do?Also,what, would be the best way to raise the front of the truck to match the height of the back when I raise it?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didnt state whether the 2500 springs are taller than your 1500 springs. I assume they are, if so, you probably will need longer shocks. Longer by the incremental additional extra height: meaning if the new springs are 2" taller, the shocks must be 2" longer.

For the front, you didnt state whether your truck is 4x2 or 4x4. It matters.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You ask for the "best way" to lift the front end. "Best" is too subjective of a term.
There are multiple ways and they incur different costs. What do you want to spend?

There are spacers that go in and under the coil spring. A set of metal boosters is what I put in my 2wd F1SO field truck. Probably the cheapest option.

Then there are lift knuckles. They dont require any spring work, but not the steering linkage. They just lower the spindle and brake caliper mounts. They might require larger wheels or spacers but wont change the ride quality. Probably the most expensive option.

Lastly, a set of taller coil springs. A set of big block coils in a small block truck, or 1 ton springs in a v6 truck, etc. Gonna ride stiffer, but carry more weight.

It all depends on the amount of lift and ride quality you want.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd just get a set of C2500 stock front springs. Do you have the 4+1 or 5+1 leaf pack?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those are the lighter of the 2 2500 leaf packs FYI. They take quite a bit more weight than the 1500 springs though.

sandlapper

Reaction score
Oh,ok,thank you. Good to know. So a stock set of 2500 coil springs would make the truck about level? Doesn't have to be right on the money.