whats a good brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys i need to get a brake controller bad. could someone tell me a good one that they know of, or have that is good. usally tow a 3500lb boat and trailer but sometimes a trailer with a CJ7 on it. dont know if it matters but its not for my 95 its for my 06 2500. thanks

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im ordering a prodigy p3 looks like. Its 144$ free shipping and comes with the plug and play wiring for my truck. All the reviews were great so i pulled the trigger.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party but the P3 is the best choice.
I have one in my truck and it works excellent.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awosome im glad i went with the P3 instead of the P2 then. if i like it im going to have to get one for my 95 as well!

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I have the Drawtite version of the same thing, only difference at the time was price and it says Drawtite instead of Tekonsha (or Prodigy) when you fire it up.

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
Ive been searching these too lately, been needing to get one so I can tow a little bigger trailer with firewood on it since I dont have much bedspace (crossbox, side box, shortbed, soon to have another side box) - but the brakes on the truck alone wont stop a dual axle trailer loaded with wood without a brake controller. Tekonshas are by far the most popular ones Ive seen, though I was curious if they were universal or if they were vehicle specific (wiring harnesses etc)

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Ive been searching these too lately, been needing to get one so I can tow a little bigger trailer with firewood on it since I dont have much bedspace (crossbox, side box, shortbed, soon to have another side box) - but the brakes on the truck alone wont stop a dual axle trailer loaded with wood without a brake controller. Tekonshas are by far the most popular ones Ive seen, though I was curious if they were universal or if they were vehicle specific (wiring harnesses etc)

They are both with the proper adapter.
I had to connect my P3 universally. There was no adapter for my '96 GMC.

cat-chevymech

Reaction score
I have a bully brake controller and i love it

81 w250 clubcab 318mag 300hp d60F&R 4.11 35s
94chevy silverado 350 4l60 325hp 3.73 32s

sent by telegraph from my w250

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
P3 here. Look at sig pic to see what it deals with.

Very happy with it's performance.