Whatcha think guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverado

Reaction score
Do they have bullet holes in them?

Just envisioning what would happen to a car in a pasture over here (Mississippi)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of them was on the wrong end of an SKS for a couple hundred rounds, the other one still drives!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Sure it is! They just want $6,500+ :D

That car is already gone. When you see rust/rot, it's done. I work in the corrosion prevention/resistance business and we refer to coating systems as having a "life span." When corrosion sets in, the life of the coating is no more. Which is also why when you bring up a "clean" vehicle they will start to rust in say 2 or 3 years instead of 6 or 7 like they did when they were new. The coating system was still resisting humidity & moisture but was no match for the mighty corrosion accelerant: salt.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random question for you northern guys... can the road salt not just be washed off every week or so or does it just get into every nook and cranny and can’t be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re pretty much screwed. There’s really no way to wash all the salt off and expect it to dry everyday. The roads are also constantly wet unless it’s super cold outside.

I brought my truck from the dessert and I don’t drive it in the winter.

I take really good care of my car and wash it all the time in the winter but being 13 years old it’s starting to show signs of rust.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's not an old truck... it's a pile of parts and dirt... Maybe I just don't see the project for 4500 bucks.

Trucks are more expensive than they used to be, but if someone is looking for rust free in MI... they're probably going to pay. My guess is that since it's not running/driving he'll have to be patient for a buyer. It wouln't be for me, either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may not be as unreasonable as you think given the location..... I worked with a guy that bought a cobbled shortbox 4x4 for something like 6K and he loves it!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I don't believe in washing it off every week. I don't like the idea of water finding it's way into those nooks & crannies, freezing and expanding in the process causing whatever kind of damage that stuff does. I haven't washed my '89 K1500 since I bought it.. Wheel lips were already slightly krispy, rockers were already gone. I have Krown T40 applied every year and then touch it up myself. Floor pans, frame & metal lines are still clean as well as the axles and such. I expect any edge to crust up with cancer so I wasn't worried about that when I got this truck.

But as one member pointed out that even with no salt things can still crisp up, that's because of the coating system's life span as I mentioned earlier. What puts a drain on it is moisture/humidity and when you combine salt with that, it accelerates it. So even vehicles kept in arid climates still don't have 100% of their coating life, which is why you'll see rust in just 2 or 3 years once they're exposed to a musty, humid garage or even worse, salt. The hot & cold cycles 4 season areas see don't do wonders for corrosion either.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trucks are more expensive than they used to be, but if someone is looking for rust free in MI... they're probably going to pay. My guess is that since it's not running/driving he'll have to be patient for a buyer. It wouln't be for me, either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may not be as unreasonable as you think given the location..... I worked with a guy that bought a cobbled shortbox 4x4 for something like 6K and he loves it!

It probably has to do with my location in the South. 4500 bucks will you you a decent running truck down here!