What Would Ya'll do to Equip a Vehicle for Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
This belief needs to go away. Read my other posts about how the fluid stays dirty with just a filter change.
I mean I don't plan on changing just the filter lol. I'd probably take the pan off to change the filer, top it off (since it is 2 gallons after all). Maybe drive it for a few miles then drain it again and refill.

If you have problems after a filter and fluid change the transmission was already worn.
It did pull a gooseneck trailer before I had it so I wouldn't be surprised XD The transmission does operate very well, though, and always shifts properly. I never have rough shifts, and they get smoother with a trailer.

And believe it or not, going up to 265/70r17 from my OEM 245/75R16 tires didn't feel any difference. In fact, after adjusting for the difference in tire height my mpg actually increased and it still towed well. It wasn't until I went up too 285s is where I felt the drag. That could also be because:
1. I went from Michelin highway tires to Nitto mud/all terrain tires :anitoof:
2. The added wind resistance from being a couple inches higher off the ground.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A filter change and subsequent drain/fill is a waste. I did it before and it was still nasty af when I finally did the full fluid change.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And believe it or not, going up to 265/70r17 from my OEM 245/75R16 tires didn't feel any difference. In fact, after adjusting for the difference in tire height my mpg actually increased and it still towed well. It wasn't until I went up too 285s is where I felt the drag. That could also be because:
1. I went from Michelin highway tires to Nitto mud/all terrain tires :anitoof:
2. The added wind resistance from being a couple inches higher off the ground.

Interesting the difference in behavior wasn't noticeable to you.

Michelin Defender LT Load Range E tires have always proven excellent to drive on the highway both the 265/75R16 on my older rigs and the 265/70R17 on the new one. No hydroplaning in heavy rain at 70-80mph and incredible snow traction for an all season tire. I won't run anything else as summer tires.
I usually run 235/85R16 Nokian or Bridgestone Blizzak tires on steel wheels as winter tires on the GMC. Tall and narrow for snow traction. I put em on the GMC this winter and left the 17" Michelins on the new truck.

It'd be a serious temptation to keep those Nitto tires for playing in the mud, if that's what they are for, and put the Michelins on for towing.
Changing the PCM tire size is really pretty easy if you have the software/hardware.
If they're for looks just soldier on... keeping in mind they will probably be more than a little rough on the equipment when you tow.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I tow with 285s, have been since 2012. Definitely more squishy than my dually, but there's more than tires at work there. Even without the blower the truck would pull the enclosed locked in OD on a relatively flat surface without a bunch of wind. Even on the many occasions I ran it in 3rd, it always did fine. Being from MI, I chose to raise my truck a little and add taller tires. Pretty useless here in CO believe it or not, but it looks good. Yes it impacts performance, but about the only thing really affected by it all on my truck is brake life. That also has a lot to do with my driving style though.

Trenton

Reaction score
Interesting the difference in behavior wasn't noticeable to you.

Possibly because I bought aluminum rims to replace the factory steelies which offset the taller tire. The tires I bought for multiple reasons. I work at an auto repair/tire shop and I learned a few things.
1. The Nitto Ridge Grappler tires roll amazingly smooth and balance well, mine required maybe 2-3 oz at most
2. My boss has had a long tread life with the same tires
3. The tire size 285/70R17 is equal to 285/75R16, which is a common tire to find in-case I have a blow out or get a sidewall puncture. I can use an old steel rim and easily find a spare in a pinch.
4. They have done well off road for me, AND have little noise on the highway.
5. I really like the way 33s look on my truck.

I might have to buy a set of 265/75R16 E tires to put on my old rims if I tow the fifth wheel, though. I'd hate to do that, though, since it's not the same size as my daily tires. Maybe I could buy a set of 255/80R17 E tires, those are similar in height.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Just chiming in to mention those Gale Banks videos were good. I debated on buying a diff cover about a month ago for the similar reasons. Wasn't so much cooling as I wanted to try to make the diff housing more rigid between a solid cover with bearing cap supports (rough-driven stick truck). :driver:

Kind of expensive, but didn't actually see any proof that they work or help. Plus I read in a few places that the covers with carrier bearing support typically leak around there, or in special cases can malform the race after they heat up. Glad I didn't buy one now that I saw some proof of concept!

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possibly because I bought aluminum rims to replace the factory steelies which offset the taller tire. The tires I bought for multiple reasons. I work at an auto repair/tire shop and I learned a few things.
1. The Nitto Ridge Grappler tires roll amazingly smooth and balance well, mine required maybe 2-3 oz at most
2. My boss has had a long tread life with the same tires
3. The tire size 285/70R17 is equal to 285/75R16, which is a common tire to find in-case I have a blow out or get a sidewall puncture. I can use an old steel rim and easily find a spare in a pinch.
4. They have done well off road for me, AND have little noise on the highway.
5. I really like the way 33s look on my truck.

I might have to buy a set of 265/75R16 E tires to put on my old rims if I tow the fifth wheel, though. I'd hate to do that, though, since it's not the same size as my daily tires. Maybe I could buy a set of 255/80R17 E tires, those are similar in height.

If your wheels are the correct width for your tires and you keep them aired up properly, it won't be that bad. I've got 33x12.50r17 mud grapplers on 8.5" wide wheels and the sway isn't any worse than a 265/70r17. Tire quality has a lot to do with bad squat/sway will be.

I really wouldn't worry TOO much about buying new tires until you've towed with it. IDK how big your 5th wheel is, but there are a LOT of people who regularly tow 30+ foot fifth wheels with half tons, not that it's safe or a good idea. You have a 1 ton LWB truck, chances are it will pull quite nicely even with a 350, unless the camper is huge.

At the minimum I'd install a trans temp gauge, change trans fluid/filter, and maybe a larger cooler if you live in a warmer area.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just chiming in to mention those Gale Banks videos were good. I debated on buying a diff cover about a month ago for the similar reasons. Wasn't so much cooling as I wanted to try to make the diff housing more rigid between a solid cover with bearing cap supports (rough-driven stick truck). :driver:

Kind of expensive, but didn't actually see any proof that they work or help. Plus I read in a few places that the covers with carrier bearing support typically leak around there, or in special cases can malform the race after they heat up. Glad I didn't buy one now that I saw some proof of concept!

Gotta figure that an aluminum cover won't expand like an iron pig, so the deformation does make sense.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Gotta figure that an aluminum cover won't expand like an iron pig, so the deformation does make sense.

Seemed interesting in reading. Might only be a couple thousandths deformation (most companies call for inch pounds to a couple of foot pounds of tension on the cap supports). But hey, a trued race in a bearing cap that's supposed to be as perfectly round as possible - probably not a good idea. Don't want to get too creative and put unusual loads in unusual places.

Trenton

Reaction score
If your wheels are the correct width for your tires and you keep them aired up properly, it won't be that bad. I've got 33x12.50r17 mud grapplers on 8.5" wide wheels and the sway isn't any worse than a 265/70r17. Tire quality has a lot to do with bad squat/sway will be.

I really wouldn't worry TOO much about buying new tires until you've towed with it. IDK how big your 5th wheel is, but there are a LOT of people who regularly tow 30+ foot fifth wheels with half tons, not that it's safe or a good idea. You have a 1 ton LWB truck, chances are it will pull quite nicely even with a 350, unless the camper is huge.

At the minimum I'd install a trans temp gauge, change trans fluid/filter, and maybe a larger cooler if you live in a warmer area.

Sounds good to me. The fifth wheel can't be any longer than 30'. My grandpa towed it with his 05 Silverado 1500 a few times, and my grandpa is one of those "it has to be perfect" types. Good thing I chose the high end Nittos ill definitely do the trans temp gauge, I've been wanting to for a while.