What wheels and tires with a stock suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Partsjay

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted 1000 times...I am new to the group. Looking to upgrade my wheels and tires, and I'm not sure I want to lift the truck. Its an 89 K1500, reg cab short bed. What are you guys running with a stock suspension? I am looking at some 16x10's with a 265/75 tire. Do you guys think this will fit without rubbing? I looked at 16x8's as well, but was hoping for a wider look.
Thank you!

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted 1000 times...I am new to the group. Looking to upgrade my wheels and tires, and I'm not sure I want to lift the truck. Its an 89 K1500, reg cab short bed. What are you guys running with a stock suspension? I am looking at some 16x10's with a 265/75 tire. Do you guys think this will fit without rubbing? I looked at 16x8's as well, but was hoping for a wider look.
Thank you!
My Burb came stock with 265 on it , run 285 now and will slightly rub when turning. It is still at stock height

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you!
Being a 30+ year old truck, generally the wider tire on a slightly narrower wheel looks/works better. I'd go with 8 wides over 10 wides, unless you're gonna run some seriously wide tires.
265/75/16 on a 16x10 the sidewall will be like vertical almost.
On an 8" wide it'd look more like a classic truck tire. A 265/75/16 tire is like 10.4 inches wide, and if your wheel is 10 wide, in reality it'd be more like a 10.5 edge to edge.
So 8 wide will be a classic look, a 10 wide will be more like the modern stock tires, but maybe pushing it for the width of the tire, might want to go to like a 275 series for the 10 wides, you honestly might even be stretching the 265/75 to make it fit a 10 wide.

Either one would function just fine I imagine.

Not sure about clearance as I have a bodylift, so haven't had to worry about clearance all the way up to 33x12.5x18s.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
265s on 10" wheels looks like **** IMO. Certain brands of 265s even look stretched on 8s. But they will fit with no rub. A 285 on a stock wheel might rub, but on an aftermarket they prolly will. Depends how suspension is.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
265s on 10" wheels looks like **** IMO. Certain brands of 265s even look stretched on 8s. But they will fit with no rub. A 285 on a stock wheel might rub, but on an aftermarket they prolly will. Depends how suspension is.

A 265 on a x10 would look ridiculous.

These are 285's on a x8 with 5" of back spacing. No rubbing anywhere except for one time when I bottomed it out with the wheels turned. Nothing at all during normal driving. I have 305s on the same wheels now and not even that rubs, but it looks really close. The wider your stance, the more you rub. Backspacing is just as important as wheel width too, since it still pushes the edge of your tire out either way.

Its hard to tell in the pictures, but in the front the edge of the tread comes out flush with the edge of the fenders. The sidewall bulges out making it look a bit wider than it actually is. In the back the tire still tucks inside the fenders when it's loaded down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
A 265 on a x10 would look ridiculous.

These are 285's on a x8 with 5" of back spacing. No rubbing anywhere except for one time when I bottomed it out with the wheels turned. Nothing at all during normal driving. I have 305s on the same wheels now and not even that rubs, but it looks really close. The wider your stance, the more you rub. Backspacing is just as important as wheel width too, since it still pushes the edge of your tire out either way.

Its hard to tell in the pictures, but in the front the edge of the tread comes out flush with the edge of the fenders. The sidewall bulges out making it look a bit wider than it actually is. In the back the tire still tucks inside the fenders when it's loaded down.
/QUOTE]
This is exactly the look I'm going for. I will be purchasing a '94 Z71 K1500 this weekend from my uncle (original owner). His suspension is still stock. I want to go with a 285/75/R16 like you, on a new wheel. I am trying to figure out exactly what wheel specs I need (backspacing and offset). I think yours looks perfect, and you said you don't get rub. Will you please see if you can find the exact specs on your wheel for me? I want to duplicate your look, but with a different wheel. Thanks!
This is exactly the look I'm going for. I will be purchasing a '94 Z71 K1500 this weekend from my uncle (original owner). His suspension is still stock. I want to go with a 285/75/R16 like you, on a new wheel. I am trying to figure out exactly what wheel specs I need (backspacing and offset). I think yours looks perfect, and you said you don't get rub. Will you please see if you can find the exact specs on your wheel for me? I want to duplicate your look, but with a different wheel. Thanks!

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

They are Craiger Soft 8s, 16x8 with 5" backspacing. I also cranked the truck to level when I put them on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3977860p

Those tires were wrangler duratracs, which were a great tire for all around use. They can be pricey but they are worth it

Summit has a really good system of filters on their website so it makes it easy to shop for wheels.

Last edited:

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
They are Craiger Soft 8s, 16x8 with 5" backspacing. I also cranked the truck to level when I put them on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3977860p

Those tires were wrangler duratracs, which were a great tire for all around use. They can be pricey but they are worth it

Summit has a really good system of filters on their website so it makes it easy to shop for wheels.
Thanks.