what type of trans cooler is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
so this is on a 92 k2500 that had the engine and trans replaced in the last 3 years. i was under it looking at something and i noticed that their are 2 lines competing from the trans and 2 coming back. they all go to the radiator. all the other coolers i’ve seen only have one inlet and outlet is this normal? the pics show where the hoses come from and go.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it’s about 90 here and we tow a lot is that enough trans cooling?
Add an external transmission cooler. The factory tow package included one. There a lots of larger aftermarket cooler options. There are several threads on this...

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it’s about 90 here and we tow a lot is that enough trans cooling?

What are you towing?

ATV trailer w/ two machines? You're fine.

10,000# gooseneck? It might be time to add one.

There's no harm adding a cooler, except the minor risk that you've added a new, potential leak source should it or its hoses fail.

If you're the curious type like me, who wants to know if/why a cooler's really necessary, get a scan tool and watch your trans temps. Prove to yourself whether your driving characteristics, in combination with the trailer load, warrants a cooler.

Or just put one in and move on.

Transmission oil temperatures depend greatly on the driving characteristics.

Moving down a level highway with the TCC locked up isn't going to put much more temp in the trans oil w/ or w/o a trailer; the marginal increased temp would be a consequence of the higher line pressures w/in the trans, and gear loading, in response to the increased applied engine torque. The lack of torque converter slip will forgo a lot of temp rise.

Stop and Go (basically the "go" part) traffic with a heavy trailer will impart much more heat to the trans oil due to torque converter slippage (a consequence of the prolonged, repetitive periods of acceleration w/ TCC unlocked).

Driving in rolling terrain is akin to stop and go traffic, i.e., repetitive trans shifts and periods of unlocked TCC are both adding heat to the oil.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me add this on my Firebird I had I ran the radiator Trans cooler and one I bought I placed it in the front of radiator.