What transmission is in a manual 1994 C3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaBurner87

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 1994 C3500 with the 7.4L 454 Engine, and it has a 5 Speed Manual transmission. But what tranny is it? I'm told 3rd gear and reverse are "rough" and I want to see what I'm looking at as far as replacement parts go. Also, are there any brands I should stick with that are tried true? Any upgrades I should look into doing? And what fluid you would recommend? I always liked Lucas transmission fluid, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with this older transmission. Any info appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easy ID - 5 speeds, 1st is a granny gear low (and indicated on the knob as L, not 1), 5th is overdrive. Cast iron case with a PTO cover on either side.

Blocking rings ("syncros") probably worn. Pretty tough transmissions overall but it may be due for a rebuild. Once they start grinding on shifts people tend to drive them until they're toast from circulating all the debris through the unit.

The original syncros have carbon fiber and afaik are the reason the special lube is required. Castrol developed it and it's called Syntorq LT but for the most part you can't buy it in their labeling; GM sells it as "Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid" and if you have the original syncros it is absolutely required.

IF you have it rebuilt, I don't believe the original syncros are available anymore, and the replacements are simply bronze. If you go with those you might be able to use the lube of your choice.. talk to your transmission builder. Otherwise the safe bet is to stick with the correct GM lube.

Richard

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
From your sig, I want that truck! Bum transmission or not, very rare rig right there. Does it have clearance lights?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I've been waiting on my transmission rebuild kit since March. It's backed up until the end of January!

The fluid has been on intergalactic back order that long as well.

BTW these are not fast shifting transmissions by any far stretch of the imagination!

There are fluid coolers and filters available here;

Ignore the Dodge part. Depending on the exhaust you may not have room for the Passenger side cooler.

I have also seen recommendations to overfill the trans by 1 quart.
I'm not comfortable recommending that until I have more info but I wanted you to be aware of it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've been waiting on my transmission rebuild kit since March. It's backed up until the end of January!

The fluid has been on intergalactic back order that long as well.

BTW these are not fast shifting transmissions by any far stretch of the imagination!

There are fluid coolers and filters available here;

Ignore the Dodge part. Depending on the exhaust you may not have room for the Passenger side cooler.

I have also seen recommendations to overfill the trans by 1 quart.
I'm not comfortable recommending that until I have more info but I wanted you to be aware of it.

A-zon has quarts of AC Delco 12346190 for $31 and change, disturbing how much the price has gone up. I remember paying around $20/quart but that was 12 years ago. Showing 7 in stock.. order quickly :D

GMPD shows it for $18 but then you have to add in S&H - $35 to my zip for 4 quarts.. a better deal overall, IF they have it in stock. Yeah.. I'm gonna say the A-zon price is artificial inflation.

Richard