What to look for 1998 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well there's one potential issue solved then. Now that I think of it, the only other issue I noticed was that the mirrors on this thing shake a decent bit. not the whole mirror but the glass inside the housing. Theyre the small non tow mirror ones
Most of the Suburbans came with power mirrors, starting with the first GMT400's in 1992. OEM ones are a little pricey. Over time mirrors get smacked, replaced, smacked again.. if they're aftermarket copies, I've seen some that are shaky even when brand new. About the quickest give-away on OEM vs. aftermarket are the screws under the base. If they're torx, it's probably an OEM mirror. Phillips.. aftermarket.

Richard

Burban1998

Reaction score
Most of the Suburbans came with power mirrors, starting with the first GMT400's in 1992. OEM ones are a little pricey. Over time mirrors get smacked, replaced, smacked again.. if they're aftermarket copies, I've seen some that are shaky even when brand new. About the quickest give-away on OEM vs. aftermarket are the screws under the base. If they're torx, it's probably an OEM mirror. Phillips.. aftermarket.

Richard
I'm fairly certain these are oem. I'll have to check them though. If they are factory mirrors, is there a fix for the glass shaking or do I need to just order new ones?

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a nice looking truck, I'd definitely do it. Don't let it get away. The way I see it, it's a Chevy, it will last, and fixing it is relatively cheap. Even transmission, which I used to worry about...that's a couple months of car payments. Unless the frame is rotted, or unless they're asking $10k, which I'm assuming they're not, I don't think there's anything you'd find that would be disqualifying.

Burban1998

Reaction score
It's a nice looking truck, I'd definitely do it. Don't let it get away. The way I see it, it's a Chevy, it will last, and fixing it is relatively cheap. Even transmission, which I used to worry about...that's a couple months of car payments. Unless the frame is rotted, or unless they're asking $10k, which I'm assuming they're not, I don't think there's anything you'd find that would be disqualifying.
I'm 99% certain I can get it for around $2600.
I'm a Ford guy but this and any old square body k20 are my only exceptions. I also like the idea of collecting parts to swap an lq4/80E in whenever (if ever) the TBI 350 decides to give up the ghost.

Would be a pretty great candidate to throw some 33's on and just leave alone for now though.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I found a buyer for the frontier. Sad to see it go but it was time.

My ownership of the burb will be an exercise in restraint. Here’s to hoping.

You must be registered for see images attach
These are solid rigs. Just has some weak points like anything else, but a lot of these have 300k miles plus. Keep us posted

Burban1998

Reaction score
No restraint! You came out ahead on that deal. Time to dig in ha ha. Awesome truck, post some more pictures.

I put it up on a lift at work, the only mechanical things even remotely wrong with it are the front shocks being blown and the front crank seal is very lightly seeping (to the point where changing it may not be worth it)

I ordered a set of Bilsteins for the front, I’m gonna go through all the exterior and interior lights and replace them with LEDs, tint the front windows, put a windsheild in it and just drive it.

Last edited:

Burban1998

Reaction score
Speaking of windows, they had some gnarly hard water stains in them. It spent its life in Portland so that’s to be expected. An afternoon with a DA buffer and some glass stripper later, the rears look much better. The fronts need gone over again but I’ll do that later.

Photos don’t do it justice but they were wrecked.